Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Door Hangers and Direct Mail

I am think about putting out door hangers in a couple of weeks. How many can you put out in an hour, per man? I know it will depend on how big the yards are, but most will be in an average income subdivisions where the houses are pretty close, and the yards aren't that big. If this is too much of a pain I might just use direct mail. Is there any difference in the close rate on door hanger compared to direct mail? Is one more effective than the other? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

...........Anyone?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say they are close to the same direct mail might be better some door hangers get left on the door and blow away in the wind the post cards always make it inside the residence. This is a very good topic I hope more chime in I am preparing my direct mail campaign today
Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say that a targeted direct mailing to your "ideal" customers would get the most bang for your buck. Does anyone really know who our ideal customer is? I keep hearing that you can input so much different info on your potential customer that it is actually a no-brainer, meaning the odds come out better, Its a risk either way.
I have customers on both sides of town(golf course-and across the railroad tracks) who knows which one is better? JUST DEPENDS ON TIME
I am taking the plunge as well, hope it pays off...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

WHO IS OUR IDEAL CUSTOMER? for the purpose of creating a mailing list...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyones ideal customer is different different home values different income different locations. These are some of the factor you need to determine for your mailing list. You best bet would be looking threw a list of customers and seeing what fits.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

amount of time

Hey elite I was just putting out the door hangers yesterday. I hit about 200 houses in an hour and thats me moving at a pretty good pace. Then again I a sole proprietor an employee might drag their feet a little. I also get on the cities website and download a map of the area I am about to hit It's great they have they property outlines on it and everything and you just draw out the fastest route. I am curious myself if direct mail is better and how it compares cost wise. The door hangers were about $350 for 6000 so it would take about 30 man hours to get them out. anyway good luck

oneshot
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks oneshot, 200 an hour I would say thats pretty good. Also the map idea is golden, I will do that for sure. If I can put them out at the rate or near the rate you are I think that would be worth it. I will pose the question again, direct mail versus door hangers which has a better return on your investment. It has nothing to do with one going to an "ideal" customer and one not. I'm still targeting the same demographic, the same areas regardless of whether it is direct or door hangers. thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can get 1000 door hangers for $200.00 and if I do direct mail 1000 would cause me 490+tax. This is What I think.............. With door hangers I can make sure that the specific neighborhoods and houses I want I would be interested in get the hanger. With direct mail even with there weeding out process they can make it into neighborhoods I would rather not have business in if you know what i mean. $200.00 and a little bit of walking sounds to be the best for what I do. Maybe not for everyone but hey, were all different.

Let me give you an example, I actually just talked to a guy through idearc media who does direct mailing for us here locally. He could weed out lawns I may not want anything to do with by using these three things. Property value. how far out from a zipcode you would like to locate potential work and what age group. What I don't like about this is there may be one house on a street that meets the specs you gave. If you were doing door hangers, you can go down a whole street, trying to get lots of work in one location!!! With direct mail this is nearly impossible unless you are willing to spend thousands on the mailing. Atleast with door hangers you know where you hang the hangers. This is just my opinion. Im sure a lot of folks will disagree but Ill be darn if I want a bunch of direct mailers I payed for going to a huge trailer park or something.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

door reply

Mowcrazy I think your right i just got finished another door hanging route and did weed out the ones i felt were no good and threw down on the choice properties. I think if you have the time you can way more specific with your approach . It seems to all come down to time. I just scored 3 calls from the hangers from yesterday too. That was a quick return on investment. right on

oneshot