Register free!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Calibrating A Skid Sprayer??

Hey guys I need some opinions. I have always sprayed with a boom sprayer however this year I bought a 200 gal skid. My question is what is the best way to calibrate this sprayer? What is the average time that most of you can spray a 1000 ft2? What gallon/acre rate do most of you spray at? Most of the people that I talk to spray about 80 gpa(1.8gal/1000). I have a hypro d30 pump. At what pressure do you guys spray at with this particular pump? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you need figure out how long it takes you to spray 1000k first! it all depends on walking speed and spray width. you need to bucket check your sprayer and find the time it takes to put out the amount you want to spray per 1000k, time yourself spraying 1000k and make adjustments with spray pressure and walking speed until you get the numbers to match.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Indy is correct.... get a bucket (measured in 1/2 gal. or less increments) and a stop watch. Spray into your bucket with the nozzle you intend to use attached to your gun... stop spraying at 1 minute - what's in the bucket? Now - what is your walking pace? keep in mind that you need to go at this speed all day and not just on the first few yards. 1000 sf per minute is a good speed for most and makes the math easy to calculate per minute volume x sq. foot coverage. Adjust pressure/flow of the pump so 1] it allows for good coverage at a good pace, and 2] it doesn't overwork you or your pump.... you just don't want to adjust it every afternoon (or week for that matter). I spray @ 1.5 gal/minute/1,000k.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

and remember

Use water when your testing, not your product.

Kevin
Old 02-23-2006, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We used to go out back on days that we could not spray due to wind or light rain and set up parking cones to mark off 1,000 sq ft, then time each other spraying it. Person closest to 1 minute got a reward, but we all did it over and over until we taught ourselves the pace needed to spray 1,000 per minute. We did this routinly(every month, month and a half). We then bucket tested sprayers like has been mentioned here.
-Taj Mahal-
Old 02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Sponsor

I agree with the previous posts, well said Indy and GREENITUP. For additional peace of mind you can also spray some accurately measured areas with water keeping track of the amount used and the area covered to verify your rate. You should also keep track of this information on each job. Your effective spray width and your walking speed should be fairly constant. Change your rate by adjusting the pump pressure. The Chemlawn gun and the TeeJet lawn gun each have different nozzles available (1-4 gpm) designed to provide an acceptable droplet size and spray pattern for different target application rates. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone has good information, another trick to double check yourself is to measure your product used on a daily basis. For instance, add the sq. ft. treated each day and check that with the amount used out of your tank. This will help you keep track of your product usage and accuracy. I use a 1 gpm nozzle, but make sure that the pressure is not to high or you will get a misting effect instead of droplets. This will cause you overspray or drifting problems. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I filled a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons of water and then marked the bucket at the top of the water level. Timed it to where it took 2 minutes to fill that level.

Measure off 1000 sq ft on a sand road or parking lot. Time yourself how long it takes to cover that amount of area. Find a pace that it takes 2 minutes to do so. That's what I did anyway. Adjust whatever you need.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmm, I am just getting started myself. I understand the concepts discussed here, but I feel like I am crawling walking 1000ft2 in 1 min. My natural pace is about 30 sec. that would be me walking down and back on a 50ft L * 20ft W. Should this only be requiring me to walk down once and back once. I am using a chemlawn gun 2 gpm nozzle. SO I figured I would be spraying about 10ft swaths. Also I am spraying concrete trying to get an even application, but seem to be applying heavy on both sides and light and the middle. I need some help. The lowest numbered pressure on the PSI side is 100, and not marked all that well. So I am using the BAR measurements, at about 5 bar.

I would have started my own thread but figured if the op still had any questions this would possibly benefit him as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This may feel like a crawling pace to you, but trust me, you get 200 to 300 ft. of liquid filled hose out there you're pulling, and it is different. Now,....take that hose and go around a few trees, rocks, sheds, and anything ELSE you can use as pivotals to keep your hose out of beds and such, and this makes a huge difference. Now,...multiply THAT into a fatigue factor of doing this all day, and trust me,...you won't be walking at you're morning feel good pace. It is hard work. Be prepared,...calibrate to THIS.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.