Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@rittenhouse View Post
The problem with the D30 reg is it sits a little lower, and that pump head right below the flange will get in the way of the reg.
Thanks, Robert.

Do you by any chance have pix of the D30's regulator mount? I googled like crazy for images, but everyone uses the exact same stock photo.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's the mesh that's in my prefilter. Anyone familiar enough with the different types to ballpark what # mesh this is?
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

whoop your killing me! If you dont know how to fix it than have a professional do it for you . or go buy the d30 and stop whining
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWC View Post
whoop your killing me! If you dont know how to fix it than have a professional do it for you . or go buy the d30 and stop whining
I don't remember demanding you subscribe...

As for not knowing how to do something: are you serious? So, as opposed to learning something new - to saving money - to increasing understanding ... you'd rather take every new hurdle in your life to some professional? What a joke. You must make a looooooottttt of money to live like that.

And, for what it's worth, I'd rather ask too many questions than not enough. Through my research I am now aware that I have multiple options. I can go all out, modify the tank AND replace the pump for $529.64. Or I can modify the tank, rebuild the D403 for $303.02 ... or I can take the cheapo approach, do a basic rebuild of the pump and ignore the rest for $193.41.

If my gathering information to make an informed decision constitutes "whining", then I'm a whiner and proud of it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

As for not knowing how to do something: are you serious? So, as opposed to learning something new - to saving money - to increasing understanding ... you'd rather take every new hurdle in your life to some professional? What a joke. You must make a looooooottttt of money to live like that

no i just know how to fix it right the first
and if i hit a nerve then my bad
Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
no i just know how to fix it right the first
and if i hit a nerve then my bad
Haha. No worries.

What is it I need to "fix right the first time"? The D403 is a known POS. It works equally poorly when I rebuild it as when the mechanics at Lesco repaired it after it was all of 2 months old...

But your "I know how to fix it right the first time" is bull$hit. You saying you were born with a capacity to accomplish every task on the first try? And you're in lawncare? LOL.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

i would do this. I can modify the tank, rebuild the D403 for $303.02 ...cut a new bulkhead fitting in the top of the tank use a 3/4 wbh34 the line that goes from the regulator back to the filter take it to the new bulkhead fitting in the top of the tank and get rid of all that return crap and take the intake hose right to the filter cool
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a john blue dp74 3 piston pump and that is how mine is run and same diaphragms for 2 1/2 years . until tomorrow that is nock on wood
Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
i would do this. I can modify the tank, rebuild the D403 for $303.02 ...cut a new bulkhead fitting in the top of the tank use a 3/4 wbh34 the line that goes from the regulator back to the filter take it to the new bulkhead fitting in the top of the tank and get rid of all that return crap and take the intake hose right to the filter cool
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

================================================
Here's what I'm leaning towards right now:

$12 - Move regulator return line back to tank using the existing tubing and buying bulkhead, elbow, and plug.

$120 - Rebuild D403 with all new diaphragms, valves, and o-rings.

$60 - Replace my cracked oil reservoir.

(There are other repairs, but they're needed, regardless of what I choose to do with the pump - such as a new 1/2" super-swivel and a $12 Hypro 3350-82F 80 mesh filter just before the hose reel...etc...)

Total Pump-Specific Costs: $200ish with fluids and incidentals.
With this approach, I save a couple hundred dollars up front, but am still using a pump that recommends diaphragm changes every 500 hours or 3 months, whichever comes first. At $50 for diaphragms and fluid replacement, that's $100 a year in maintenance + the sometimes unexpected downtime from an all-too-common failure in the middle of the day.

The alternative would be:

$12 - Move regulator return line back to tank using the existing tubing and buying bulkhead, elbow, and plug.

$399 - D30

$10 - Miscellaneous adapters/fittings to fit my existing regulator and tie it all together.

Total Pump-Specific Costs: $430ish with fluids and incidentals.
With this approach, I have still addressed the sprayer's regulator-return-flaw. I will have to spend a couple hundred dollars up front, and have to deal with making it all fit together (not a big deal). In exchange for the upfront investment, I HOPEFULLY never have the damned thing fail on me in the middle of a work day again.

I'm torn. I absolutely HATE spending money on equipment unless it's absolutely necessary. But on the other hand, the most costly part of the business for me is down-time. The D30 represents $$$ out of my pocket, but the D403 has a history of ridiculous amount of downtime, stress, and cussing (and that track record isn't just from me)...

All that in consideration, what would y'all do?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I was looking to buy a cub cadet until i saw the return line going back to the filter i would run the bypass from the regulator to the new bulkhead and the filter bypass to the 3 jet agitation line and some how support the pump