Register free!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Light for Stone Walls

Need some help on figuring out a good solution to a mounting dilema. For cinder block retaining walls faced with natural stone i have been installing a great fixture from FX...the Custode Gradino.

Unfortunately i am not happy with the life span of the MR8 and the color does not work with the rest of my fixtures and they require an extra connection.

This fixture is installed into a 2" pvc sleeve that is built into the wall whereby the fixture body inserts into the sleeve and is tightened into place. This installation allows the stone work to be built up to and around the sleeve giving the finished installation a flush mounted appearance. see pics.

Puck lites like the Gemini from Unique that i am trying to use instead dont mount so hot to an uneven surface like natural stone and its difficult to drill into some of the more dense types of stone to install masonry anchors.

I am looking for some creative solutions to allow me to have a flush mounted Gemini puck light installed on natural stone walls. any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about installing a sleeve that the gemini can slide into? Creating a flush mount similar to whats done with a MR 16 well light. I have not used the gemini so I am not sure if this will work or not. Doing this would require some differnt sizes of pvc. Just a thought.

Keith
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are many similar fixtures (as the one in your photo) on the market that use MR16 lamps. Off the top of my head I would look to Hunza. I know there are others too but I am too swamped to pour over a bunch of catalogs right now.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can you not switch to a Xelogen lamp in the CG???? The 35w Astro Brite might be just what that fixture needed!!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I probably could switch to a xenon lamp...although im still stuck with the natural brass color, no 25' leads and a price tag quite a bit higher than the Gemini. I was looking for a template idea maybe that could be anchored to the block wall that would stick out about 2-3 inches (roughly the size of the veneer stone) where the Gemini could then be fastened to that. The stone work could then be built up to and around the template and the fixture installed post construction. A bunch of circular pieces of plywood glued together could work but thats a ton o work and the wood wont last. If a stainless steel bracket of some sort could be found to raise the fixture 2-3 inches off the block wall that might be the ticket....Joey D. see if Nate can hook me up on that
Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Will do........I will see if a couple of us can put our heads togeather and come up with a solution to help you out......You almost need some sort of a shim option that you can cut to size and fit.........or some foam block????? Hmmmmm.......wheels are turning........
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Will do........I will see if a couple of us can put our heads togeather and come up with a solution to help you out......You almost need some sort of a shim option that you can cut to size and fit.........or some foam block????? Hmmmmm.......wheels are turning........
Thanks Buddy.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I did pucks on a wall that was similar and I fabricated a stinless mount for them. I wouldnt shim with foam.

Vision 3 also makes a similar light and I am pretty sure they will put whatever lamp you want in them. Burt installed some in a stucco wall and they were stunning.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

When attaching a fixture to an uneven surface I have used a spring over the screws to level the fixture. Either that or grind the stone.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinnon Gardens View Post
When attaching a fixture to an uneven surface I have used a spring over the screws to level the fixture. Either that or grind the stone.
Springs over the screws! Now that is a good tip. Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

So what is the deal with all the new people from Ontario here lately? Not that I am complaining or anything, it is great having so many Canadians joining the ranks.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA