Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Finding a Diesel is tough!

I'm currently looking for a Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel in years of 96-01. I want the standard cab though and the manual transmission. I'm not too concerned with the millage, under 300k at least.

I can't find a single truck like it anywhere, or a manual Cummins for that matter. I have searched everywhere Ebay/craigslist to auto and truck trader, my local paper and dealers.

Any advice? Are there people that you can hire to find a truck? What do I need to get so I can visit auto auctions myself? I'm going crazy here!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you only looking in Florida?, or neighboring states as well?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I just went on eBay reay quick and here's what I found. (Yes, I know you said regular cab.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could you deal with a 1ton, you'd probably have better luck that way. And that old of a truck not much price difference between a 3/4ton and 1ton..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the Cummins diesels will be the SLT extended cabs. I found a 5 speed manual quickly on Ebay just now. I have been saying for 12 months that diesels are going to be getting harder to come buy, and this is all good for their value's if you own one. Modern or pre-tier 4 EPA emission laden Diesels are like the AWB(Assault Weapons Ban); except were dealing with the EPA instead. Folks are running to purchase their "pre-AWB" diesels before their illegal to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...#ht_500wt_1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
I'm currently looking for a Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel in years of 96-01. I want the standard cab though and the manual transmission. I'm not too concerned with the millage, under 300k at least.

I can't find a single truck like it anywhere, or a manual Cummins for that matter. I have searched everywhere Ebay/craigslist to auto and truck trader, my local paper and dealers.

Any advice? Are there people that you can hire to find a truck? What do I need to get so I can visit auto auctions myself? I'm going crazy here!

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 03-04-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess I'm too picky with the cab, but I need at least the fullsize bed. Oh yeah I'll do a dually too I guess, haven't even looked at those. I don't think I'm down to drive more than north Florida as time is money and I'm extremely busy lately. Guess I'll have to just wait and keep my eyes open.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=nosparkplugs;2823275]Most of the Cummins diesels will be the SLT extended cabs. I found a 5 speed manual quickly on Ebay just now. I have been saying for 12 months that diesels are going to be getting harder to come buy, and this is all good for their value's if you own one. Modern or pre-tier 4 EPA emission laden Diesels are like the AWB(Assault Weapons Ban); except were dealing with the EPA instead. Folks are running to purchase their "pre-AWB" diesels before their illegal to sell.QUOTE]

I disagree, everyone says that but try selling a truck right now because people are not interested. My 01 7.3 is in good shape and I can't get people to look at it and think it's a fair price.

I would think that there would be a lot of Dodges out there, may have to travel some?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

SFL, Come up to PA, NJ and Lower NY. Theres a ton of them around! I'm looking for a similar truck but am looking for extened or crew cab. You might also try looking in Texas or KY.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy searched long and hard for a truck like you are describing SFL. He ended up traveling to AZ and getting a dually just so he could have the stick shift as well. They are very hard to find and dodges hold their value well. Ive been looking at 03-05 cummins and they are rediculous on their prices.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I defiantly can't take the time out to travel, and I don't want a northern truck with rust and all. I know for 16K there's an 05 3500 dually just how I want it but its out in Oregon.