Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,850
Misquito Barrier

Has any one tried using this garlic based product.
Supposed to be safe, non-odorous and effective.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

The Synthetic folks are gearing up for this in my area and I want to keep them off some of my mowing jobs.
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,850
I couldn't 'edit' the title to read: Mosquito Barrier.

Now I am forever an ignorant fool who can't spell Miss Kiyto.
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
ICT Bill ICT Bill is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howard County MD
Posts: 4,120
It is very effective and lasts 3 to 5 weeks as a repellent
You cannot claim "pesticide" or "control" though, you can say mosquito management, I believe.
This is one of those areas where it is REALLY better to be safe than sorry, you do not want the pesticide police at your place giving out tickets. be careful what you claim

It literally jams the signal that misquitos use to see. You can make it your self if you want, its not a big secret Garlic is garlic

We use garlic in our essential 1 mix.

Caution: it does attract ITALIANS

For standing water they also have the mosquito dunks which contains Bt (Israelensis) the larvae never mature into adults
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,850
Thanks for the recommendation, Bill.
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Has any one tried using this garlic based product.
Supposed to be safe, non-odorous and effective.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

The Synthetic folks are gearing up for this in my area and I want to keep them off some of my mowing jobs.
I've been using it for 3 years, on my own property first, then on client's. It works well.

But you'd expect me to say that since we sell it.
A case of 4 one gallon jugs is $190.00 plus shipping. One gallon mixes with 100 gals of water and treats 5 acres.
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
JDUtah's Avatar
JDUtah JDUtah is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UT
Posts: 2,671
I wonder if mixing a little 'garlic meal' to your OM fert just before applying would have similar effects.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
NattyLawn NattyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,648
I wouldn't classify this product as not having an odor, although it dissipates in a few hours.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
It is very effective and lasts 3 to 5 weeks as a repellent
You cannot claim "pesticide" or "control" though, you can say mosquito management, I believe.
This is one of those areas where it is REALLY better to be safe than sorry, you do not want the pesticide police at your place giving out tickets. be careful what you claim

It literally jams the signal that misquitos use to see. You can make it your self if you want, its not a big secret Garlic is garlic

We use garlic in our essential 1 mix.

Caution: it does attract ITALIANS

For standing water they also have the mosquito dunks which contains Bt (Israelensis) the larvae never mature into adults
Anything that kills, controls, mitigates or repels falls under being considered a pesticide. In NH for example, they will come down on someone putting cornmeal down, or using garlic as a mosquito control product. Some states might not be as difficult , i would call if you are going to use it, fines are high.
__________________
1-Z-plugger
1-lawnsolutions aerator wb
1-Bluebird 48 tow behind
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Anything that kills, controls, mitigates or repels falls under being considered a pesticide. In NH for example, they will come down on someone putting cornmeal down, or using garlic as a mosquito control product. Some states might not be as difficult , i would call if you are going to use it, fines are high.
We have the pesticide liscence so it is not an issue. Won't use in water or buildings. I feel sorry for you guys in NE states as far as gov't is concerned. Looks like we will all be that way soon.

Barry, I will check it out, thanks.
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
phasthound's Avatar
phasthound phasthound is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mt. Laurel, NJ
Posts: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Anything that kills, controls, mitigates or repels falls under being considered a pesticide. In NH for example, they will come down on someone putting cornmeal down, or using garlic as a mosquito control product. Some states might not be as difficult , i would call if you are going to use it, fines are high.
The EPA has exempted several low risk products from pesticide registration. The following link specifically mentions proper wording for mosquito control by exempted products.

http://www.epa.gov/PR_Notices/pr2000-6.pdf
__________________
Barry Draycott

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.11423 seconds with 9 queries