Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That live oak is overly pruned and overly lit in my opinion.

It looks really unnatural and there's too much light at the branch ends, which if not pruned annually (assuming the tree is healthy) will fill in with new growth anyway.

Most of my customers are looking for a more subtle effect than this.

This particular specimen brings up that age old question that I first heard from Bill Locklin... "why light?"

If the answer is "ostentatious displays of conspicuous consumption", then this hits the mark.

Otherwise, fuggedaboudit.

Last edited by irrig8r; 03-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
That live oak is overly pruned and overly lit in my opinion.

It looks really unnatural and there's too much light at the branch ends, which if not pruned annually (assuming the tree is healthy) will fill in.

Most of my customers are looking for a more subtle effect than this.
Right on. And that's why you sit home everyday in front of your computer while I'm out installing systems. If you had any idea what your customers wanted you'd have some lighting customers. let's see some of your work.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's over photographed. Some people can make a good job look bad or a bad job look good with photos...ughhh...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTymeIlluminations View Post
It's over photographed. Some people can make a good job look bad or a bad job look good with photos...ughhh...

let's see some of your Nighttime shots . Maybe you're not a photographer but you can still hire one. Those who are serious and are relevant in this business document their work. Those who are not make excuses and criticize others on message bds.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is not much point debating if the object is over lit or under lit or well photographed or not. Perhaps the client was looking for just that look, and if so, then Mike nailed it. A bit stark perhaps, but who am I to judge... the man does some amazing lighting! No one can argue that.

As for the Halogen vs LED debate... It is possible to replicate that exact look with LED fixtures Mike. The Kichlers (I do have a lot of reservations about the kichler LED fixture designs and "features"... Can't stand em!, but the output is very good) and I suspect the DG Lights products do produce amazing output in terms of intensity, beam spread, colour rendition, etc.

Ultimately... to each their own!

Enjoy!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
There is not much point debating if the object is over lit or under lit or well photographed or not. Perhaps the client was looking for just that look, and if so, then Mike nailed it. A bit stark perhaps, but who am I to judge... the man does some amazing lighting! No one can argue that.

As for the Halogen vs LED debate... It is possible to replicate that exact look with LED fixtures Mike. The Kichlers (I do have a lot of reservations about the kichler LED fixture designs and "features"... Can't stand em!, but the output is very good) and I suspect the DG Lights products do produce amazing output in terms of intensity, beam spread, colour rendition, etc.

Ultimately... to each their own!

Enjoy!
Thanks James. These guys are just trying to push my buttons. You have been doing some excellent work with LED's up north and I respect that as you are plowing new ground. I'm considering the whole package. I haven't seen anything that comes close to halogen yet in light output, fixture build, cost etc.

I have nothing patently against LED's or the new technology itself . Once I am certain they will do what I want them to do and they will last, not lose effectiveness prematurely and all my other criteria is met then I'll be on board.

The thread takes on a life of it's own when you get knuckleheads chiming in who have no credentials taking pot shots at you for no other reason then their own personal hatred.

Thanks for injecting a dose of sanity and intelligence.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes James.... you are a calming influence on knuckleheads of all stripes...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Yes James.... you are a calming influence on knuckleheads of all stripes...
And you forgot those with no credentials as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Mike.. some of us don't need to be "relevant" in this business. We do it because we enjoy it, we make customers happy, we get paid and we go home.

We have lives besides our work. Sometimes they get in the way of doing nighttime demos and photography sessions... Oh well.

I was just having fun with you over what was either an overexposed photo or (in my opinion) too much light.

Let me explain where I'm coming from:

Most of my higher end customers are in the foothills with expansive (and expensive) views of the valley below. I've learned not to overlight the foreground and tend to only uplight trees that frame the view off to the sides. Your clients may have different needs.

Now I'm off to a sit down dinner of chili verde. I like being home by dinner time most nights.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

ah, yes, great to see truth and logic rule the day. The great thing about intelligent folks is they recognize when others are right and they are wrong, not afraid to admit when others make good points ,and further, when confronted with the possibility, they are wrong, They don't get personal. A true demonstration of intelligence is admitting where your argument is weak and where it is strong. Did any of you guys debate in college? did any of you go?

Wild and outreageous?

Liquid nitrogen cooled LED's ? do you honestly believe anyone with an intelligence over 100 believes those will ever find thier way into landscape? please.

If you want to look at how high power Leds in Landscape are going to work in the future- Try to look where they work well CONSISTANTLY - Flashlights and commercial signs. they both use large ( relative to the size of the LED) aluminum heatsinks. They are both water proof to a degree.

You can buy a high quality waterproof aluminum flashlight with a suitable heatsink at around 160 lumens that will burn through batteries all day long for about 30 bucks. blow that design up with proper heatsinks, to a 60 degree flood at the same price, you'll find your mass install market James.