Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Test procedure for Exmark Time-delay Safety interlock module (Lazer Z)?

I have a 2001 Exmark Lazer Z HP (Kohler engine), which I am having a problem with.

The kill wire is grounding when the key is on run and all of the safety switches are appropriately unplugged or jumped. If the time delay module (officially "module, safety interlock" PN: 543316 on the parts diagram) is unplugged, the kill wire is no longer grounded (so it does not appear to be a short in the brake-on, drive-levers-engaged kill circuit).

How do I tell if the module is bad? I have attempted to test it by jumping the two prongs (grey wires) where seat switch plugs in (and seeing if the kill wire to ground circuit is continuous), and also by giving it 12 V across the "hot" (orange) wire to ground (white), to see if it requires power to operate. Is any other circuit needed to make it work (the other circuits do not seem to be always in play when the mower needs to run)?

With the red/black stripe wire on the module cut (interrupting the black and green kill circuit from mower harness), the mower will run, but the seat safety interlock is, of course, inoperable.

Any ideas on how to test it? Or do I just buy a new one and cross my fingers?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love those required saftey features. FYI, Exmark has a tech line 1-800-479-8379.

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Apply battery + to blue. Apply battery - to black.
Check continuity between red/black and battery - .
Continuity is OK. No continuity is bad.
Connect yellow and brown together.
Check for continuity between red/black and battery - . Continuity is bad. No continuity OK