Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
This year, because of a cheaper supply chain, I am able to offer my organic program at a very close price to my synthetic program, when last year it was close to double the price of synthetic.

Only thing I am afraid of is customers being afraid that my program is so much cheaper than all other organic/natural programs available they may think I am cutting corners.

Similar problems anyone?
Clients are Paying for Results and Service.

A true Organic product for lower cost to you?

Do your numbers and look at your Competition.........Then decide if you in fact deserve a Raise because you offer better service/results IMO.

If you want to pass the savings onto your Clients, that is your call.

Look at the Value of your service.....Do you deserve a Raise???

Pete
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh man, this is scary. lol. Seriously though, I wouldn't lower prices. Read this article.

A part of it here...

Quote:
Rather than reduce price, offer more value to your customers...

...price reductions do more than compromise earnings. They compromise customers’ perceived value of your products and services [your brand] which ultimately affects the long-term equity of the franchise. Therefore, rather than look to price reductions, add greater value to your customers. Extend them better terms. Improve the purchasing process. Get your products to them more quickly. Increase your cooperative marketing activities. Show them ways in which to better use your products to improve their lives. Do anything but reduce price.

This logic also extends to your relationship with your vendors. Rather than demand price reductions from your vendors – which ultimately translate into quality reductions – work with your supplier community to extract greater value. Insist that they deliver faster, be more innovative, find ways to cut costs in their operations (and to show you how they’ve done so), and invest in your growth agenda. Do as a client of mine did: sponsor a “stop doing contest” and offer awards. The idea is simple. Offer “rewards” for those who can find ways to reduce operating expenses, improve efficiencies, and eliminate redundant and costly processes that may help not only save money, but improve operations. There is only one caveat: other than the CEO, who has the unfortunate task of cutting jobs in some cases, you cannot. In other words, those who participate in “stop doing contest” must find ways through process, structure, and other avenues to reduce expenses. You can get creative about what winners will receive, but – my advice for more than one reason – is to stick to recognition over financial rewards. Much like getting in shape, people get creative when they have to. Lean on them – your vendors and your employees - to help you not only survive, but to thrive during these times. Let vendors innovate for you. One of the most often overlooked opportunities for innovation is to simply ask your vendors what they would do if they were you. Let them incur the cost of research. It is in their best interest to find the future for you.

Last edited by JDUtah; 03-09-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for replying back grasscuttinfoo.

For 17,000 sq ft. I would need 3 bags of organic product.
For 17,000 sq ft. I would need 3/4 bag of Synthetic Product.

Mind you I mostly maintain 15,000-135,000 sq ft yards.

and my point is carrying 3 times the product to do a job.

I have 1 client that requires 25 bags of organic fert for 1 application.
I make very little money on that job. The supplier makes the money.
25 x 50lb = 1250LBS to carry on the back of my vehicle/trailer.
Riding spreader.

We are talking real organic products.

I would love to learn a cheaper and lighter way to do this.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

cheaper yes!!! lighter not a chance!!!!! organic products are just more weight and volume
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
cheaper yes!!! lighter not a chance!!!!! organic products are just more weight and volume
This would also be an opportunity to evaluate - Just how much N is required to replenish the supply in a good organic soil.

At least dump on the organics once a year. Late spring would be my choice. If you are not removing the clippings , and your soil is biologically active , and your watering is not extreme, I would think you could get by with something less than 4# of N/k per season.

Sometimes I do have to put down synthetics for a greener green, but so far once every 2 years , in the fall. I am working on that.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncuttinfoo View Post
This year, because of a cheaper supply chain, I am able to offer my organic program at a very close price to my synthetic program, when last year it was close to double the price of synthetic.

Only thing I am afraid of is customers being afraid that my program is so much cheaper than all other organic/natural programs available they may think I am cutting corners.

Similar problems anyone?
I dont supose you want to give up that supply chain do ya?
You could pm me we arent in the same area
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well maybe you should talk to ICT Bill. He has products like his hydro seed that 1 gallon will do 360,000 sq ft - cost about $70. Double the dose - fill up at the local fire pump and you tow 2000 lbs (assuming you have a 200 gal sprayer) several hundred yards - but to and from the job it you tow 1 gallon!!

Think about that - call Bill. 5 or 6 apps a year and you are adding myco - heck he has a bunch of other options too. So if you are looking for light weight or simplicity, in what you do, this might be a key product.

On the other hand at least once a year, you are going to have to get some bulk organic matter down - biosludge or protein meals (soy, alfalfa), a high quality humate (at least every few years - critical - humic, fulvic acids in bulk 20#'s per 1000 - I would do first year over all other ammendments) an organic fert or a high quality compost - mix it up year to year. These normally go about 20 lbs per 1000 so at 135,000 sq ft that would be 2700 pounds - usually in the fall. But you will be building the soil profile rather than doing nothing but having a green spring - I choose long term life and green in spring over weight and just green in spring. But that's just me.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

please help with the math:

90-3000-03 Gluten-8 OLP, Pallet (192 gallon
containers) $7,670.40 48.0"L x 40.0"W x 40.0"H
Add to Cart

• 1 - Pallet contains 192 gallon containers and
treats 768,000 square feet or 17.630 acres, call for
discount on pallets

$435 an acre for product costs alone buying by the skid and only supplying Nitrogen. 4 weeks max

about $140 an acre with liquid ParIII
another 140 for granular Synthetic fert 24-5-10 %30 slow release buying by the bag. 4-6 weeks release rate.

Are these products registered with the government.

Last edited by HayBay; 03-10-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Not to disrepect the sponsor of Lawnsite
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

LOLOL. I am gona hang back on this one.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

did i mention the unbanning of stem cell research. hehe.

Those synthetic prices included application and product costs.

if Ric could read this now. LOL....................