Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
HayBay

To quote the infamous Lawrence Stone (who BTW called me this morning). "I hope you have a 5 ton truck and a fork lift to handle your organics"

99% of my accounts are 5,000 sg ft. or under. I top dress them with orgasmic material twice a year and sub the job out to guy with that 5 ton truck. This is done in early spring dry season as in now, to help with field capacity or water holding and again at the end of rainy season. Because my soil is sandy and high pH, the orgasmic material also helps lower pH and add chemical holding power(CEC). As a result I get more bang for my buck in both water and chemical response. But my yards would look horrible if I didn't use synthetics.

Even at my age I am open to change in the industry. Those who don't progress fall behind, and fortified Orgasmic do have a place. Unfortunately the cost of orgasmics compared to synthetics plays a big part in our economy today. At one time I was the highest priced guy in town, but I have not raised prices in two years. I have increased my customer because my price is more competitive. There may be a need for an all orgasmic program, BUT IS THERE A ENOUGH DEMAND AT THAT HIGHER PRICE???

that's so funny..... IT is what it is..............
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

To each his own or her
Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
please help with the math:

90-3000-03 Gluten-8 OLP, Pallet (192 gallon
containers) $7,670.40 48.0"L x 40.0"W x 40.0"H
Add to Cart

• 1 - Pallet contains 192 gallon containers and
treats 768,000 square feet or 17.630 acres, call for
discount on pallets

$435 an acre for product costs alone buying by the skid and only supplying Nitrogen. 4 weeks max

about $140 an acre with liquid ParIII
another 140 for granular Synthetic fert 24-5-10 %30 slow release buying by the bag. 4-6 weeks release rate.

Are these products registered with the government.
Hay bay,
I agree completely on this point. It is very hard to cost justify the use of Corn Gluten meal when comparing to synthetic like dimension or ronstar, literally 10 times the cost

Its application is when you are on a completely organic program or the use of pesticides has been taken away as a tool. many cities and counties all over the US and Canada are restricting or banning altogether the use of pesticides. The first place the ban typically goes into effect is kindergarden thru 12 grade schools and there fields, good for them !
The pre-m capability of CGM has been well documented by iowa state university

Instant Compost Tea, is registered as a fertilizer in most states $ 0.67 per 1000 sq ft or $30.00 per acre

1-2-3 Tree, soil amendment for periennials, shrubs and trees, $0.20 per DBH or foot of shrub

1-2-3 Hydroseed, for overseeding and hydroseeding $0.002 per sq ft or $9.31 per acre or adding to the end of CT brewing for known beneficials

1-2-3 NPP, hydrolyzes (turns it to water) fungi on contact, made from crab shells, $0.58 per 1000 sq ft.

I would say those are some vey cost effective solutions for lawn and landscape
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
This would also be an opportunity to evaluate - Just how much N is required to replenish the supply in a good organic soil.

At least dump on the organics once a year. Late spring would be my choice. If you are not removing the clippings , and your soil is biologically active , and your watering is not extreme, I would think you could get by with something less than 4# of N/k per season.

Sometimes I do have to put down synthetics for a greener green, but so far once every 2 years , in the fall. I am working on that.
I like to dump mine on in the fall and let the winter rains move the OM deeper into the soil profile.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
and let the winter rains move the OM deeper into the soil profile.
????????????
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We've lost a few small to medium sized residentials this winter, but have picked up a handsome three-year municipal contract that'll makes up most of the difference.

No...the profit's no where near the same, but the opportunity to have tremendous amounts of exposure time in and around the busier parts of town will more than make up for it, marketing wise, in the long run.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope i did not hijack this thread with my questions . I do appreciate the replys.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
Hay bay,
I agree completely on this point. It is very hard to cost justify the use of Corn Gluten meal when comparing to synthetic like dimension or ronstar, literally 10 times the cost

Its application is when you are on a completely organic program or the use of pesticides has been taken away as a tool. many cities and counties all over the US and Canada are restricting or banning altogether the use of pesticides. The first place the ban typically goes into effect is kindergarden thru 12 grade schools and there fields, good for them !
The pre-m capability of CGM has been well documented by iowa state university

Instant Compost Tea, is registered as a fertilizer in most states $ 0.67 per 1000 sq ft or $30.00 per acre

1-2-3 Tree, soil amendment for periennials, shrubs and trees, $0.20 per DBH or foot of shrub

1-2-3 Hydroseed, for overseeding and hydroseeding $0.002 per sq ft or $9.31 per acre or adding to the end of CT brewing for known beneficials

1-2-3 NPP, hydrolyzes (turns it to water) fungi on contact, made from crab shells, $0.58 per 1000 sq ft.

I would say those are some vey cost effective solutions for lawn and landscape

Not a bad per acre price, assuming the overall effectiveness is comparable to the 60% corn gluten sold locally.

We've gotten to the point now in the lion's share of the repeat customers lawns that we just use CGM around hard surface perimeters like sidewalk edges.
We live and breathe to our customers & prospects the philosophy of crowding out potential weed problems, with the gradual construction of dense, healthy turf.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I like to dump mine on in the fall and let the winter rains move the OM deeper into the soil profile.
Our winter 'rains' are starting to soak in right about now. At the bottom of the hollows.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Not a bad per acre price, assuming the overall effectiveness is comparable to the 60% corn gluten sold locally.

We've gotten to the point now in the lion's share of the repeat customers lawns that we just use CGM around hard surface perimeters like sidewalk edges.
We live and breathe to our customers & prospects the philosophy of crowding out potential weed problems, with the gradual construction of dense, healthy turf.
Marcos
You make an excellent post

Rather than covering the entire property with CGH you can go after the typical areas that will promote weeds. sidewalks and driveways that are edged, disturbanaces where there are open soil areas

If you are covering 4.5 acres with the application we have a 10% discount. This is what we call a small pallet (48 gallons packed 4 to a carton), it more than covers the freight