Register free!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
I don't know if I am going to be around, I had a heat stroke over the weekend and almost died, I am now looking into going into treatment, my whole left arm is out of gas. i may even skip or not do any classes for the next month. but if i stay local for therapy I may get over that way........its all up in the air for now...........
Sometimes you over achievers worry me...
Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow Tree, I send my luck, support, and a prayer or two or three...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input and i think I've come up with something that will still be fairly cost and labor effective.

Here's my idea:

1. Spray with EcoClear (http://www.naturesglory.com/canada/p...-ecoclear.html)

2. Wait 3 days and remove all the dead plant material (so as not to cause an Australia style brush fire in step 3 )

3. Wait 4 more days then use a Propane roofing torch to cook the soil and kill any perennial weeds.

4. Add1-2 inches of compost and till in to replace the microbes that got cooked

5. Do everything else the same as usual..........

I looked into using fire for perennial weed control and found this study (http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/Ada...tudy2002_1.htm) so it seems that a 2000C fire is pretty good at controlling weeds.

Any other suggestions are welcome or if anyone can see a major flaw with this plan let me know.

BTW Treegal sorry to here about the heat stroke, get well soon.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow.. and I thought Canada was the last Country left with any sense. There'a a thread "going green" that 2 eco nuts have almost written a frigin book on maybe it'll help
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precedence View Post
Thanks for all the input and i think I've come up with something that will still be fairly cost and labor effective.

Here's my idea:

1. Spray with EcoClear (http://www.naturesglory.com/canada/p...-ecoclear.html)

2. Wait 3 days and remove all the dead plant material (so as not to cause an Australia style brush fire in step 3 )

3. Wait 4 more days then use a Propane roofing torch to cook the soil and kill any perennial weeds.

4. Add1-2 inches of compost and till in to replace the microbes that got cooked

5. Do everything else the same as usual..........

I looked into using fire for perennial weed control and found this study (http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/Ada...tudy2002_1.htm) so it seems that a 2000C fire is pretty good at controlling weeds.

Any other suggestions are welcome or if anyone can see a major flaw with this plan let me know.

BTW Treegal sorry to here about the heat stroke, get well soon.
Couple of things.

1) Your biggest concern for your initial kill is for weeds that vegetatively propagate. Since you plan on tilling, this is your most important step.

2) If you are going to till, determine how much compost you need to bring up SOM to between 5-10%

3) Tilling, as you know, creates new weeds. Personally, if tilling is followed by anything other than sod, you should let any new weeds germinate before doing anything. Kill the new weeds with fire or solarize (with transparent plastic) the area after tilling.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The weeds you are trying to get rid of have a surface root system. My first thought (long before spraying anything) would be to use a landscaper's blade on the back of a tractor to scrape the surface clean. Then use a front end loader (same tractor??) and dump truck to get rid of the weeds. Your soil is prepared when you are finished with the scraping so no tilling is needed.

Tilling for grass usually gives poor results unless your tiller is mounted on a tractor. An operator with a hand held tiller cannot control depth so you end up with a rolling profile underground. When you level the surface above a non-level subsurface, you will end up with eneven settling as the years go by. In three years the owner will be unhappy with the uneven surface and wonder why it happened.