Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdigman23 View Post
Never use a TeeJet flat fan nozzle on a backpack or handheld..You can get away with it for awhile but its a horrible method..The TeeJet cone nozzles are far better in that type of app
Most of the other posters said TO use a flat fan type. Why is it a horrible method? Pls elaborate. (I believe the Shurflo already comes with a cone nozzle)
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizPestWeed View Post
Fan type for sure .
Spray like you are mowing , in strips , best to use a dye marker so you know where you have been, well , if it's a golf course , forget the dye.
I tried a boom one time , not enough flow to support the 2 or more tips .
Besides, the Surflo does not pump enough fluid for big jobs , too slow
Az- Can your battery backpack put out enough volume to support a 2 or 3 tipped boom... 1gal/1000+ at normal walking speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What I like on the end of a wand is an Teejet AI11003 or AI11004. At normal walking speed, you can put down a gallon per 1000 with very good coverage and no overlapped or skipped areas. The coverage and accuracy is near that of a tractor mounted boom. Those nozzles also have the advantage of drastically reducing drift. A conventional fan nozzle mists and is prone to moving off target.
Greendoc- how wide of a pattern and what type of pressure is this? I am assuming this reply is based on a traditional pump style BP, not the gas-powered one you also use?

Guys here's what I'm looking for (some of it is similar to what DA is looking for)

1) Precise delivery. Waving the wand isn't an option for me.
2) 1gal/1000+ volume. I want to try a few things this year that need this type of volume
3) Ease and efficiency. I'm interested in a 2-3 boom setup if it's capable of those volumes at normal walking pace. I'll have a hard time staying motivated to make my apps if it's going to take too long because I have to walk sllllooooww or spray a 30" pass at a time.
4) Low-cost of equipment. This is for my own lawn only. I don't make applications for a living, so I don't want to sink hundreds of $$$ into this. I don't have a problem with $100 for a decent backpack and $20-50 for nozzles/boom if it will do the job I want it to. If I need to spend 3-4-500 to do what I want, I'll have to rethink.

Will a Solo with some thing like this work for me?

What say you lawnsite faithful?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

sub................
Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Its done all the time. Wave the wand. Its just like spray painting. Skill. Practice with water on cement. After a few minutes you will learn how to apply it evenly, and establish the width of your swath. And determine the gallons per 1000 feet. This way you can do large areas and still reach into tiny spaces. Not much different than using a spray gun and hose. Do not wave a flat-fan type nozzle. Keep the pressure low and you can get more sqft out of 4 gallons. Apply less water and save fill-ups.
You almost had me happy till you said don't wave a fan tip. Why do you say that? I have a fan tip and started waving cause it just takes to darn long to strip spray. I used to spray furniture many years ago and the process seems similar to me.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try it on concrete--keeping in mind--even a slight excess might burn the grass. Watch carefully as the cement dries. If you use a flat fan nozzle and wave left and right...you must stop at the far right before you can reverse and come back left. This leaves an excess where you stopped. Just like spray painting--inexperienced painters leave an excess as they reverse the gun and paint drips occur at each edge. If you accidentally leave the flat fan at an angle as it moves back and forth...it gets worse. Surely you don't mean "flat fan" tip; those are designed to apply bands of herbicide over row crops, sharp cutoff, and not overlap at all. Tapered fan is more likely for boom sprayers--this allows the edges of the pattern to overlap the next nozzle...full coverage results, as the boom moves forward.

If you can apply the product evenly--whatever you do is fine. Just like varnish.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, now I'm confused We use SRS 600's. We use the yellow flat fan tips. They are made by several company's, I think the one in my sprayer right now is a D. B. Smith #2008. We have done this for the past 6 to 8 years? We mostly spot spray. But If there are many weeds in one area, we wave it back and forth and blanket. Have even done lawns 40K plus this way.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 09-27-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If you use a flat fan nozzle and wave left and right...you must stop at the far right before you can reverse and come back left. This leaves an excess where you stopped. Just like spray painting--inexperienced painters leave an excess as they reverse the gun and paint drips occur at each edge.
That's why you learn to release the trigger at the proper time when you reach the end and pull it again when you start the next row.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I am wrong about the definition of "Flat fan" tip. After reading through the nozzle information linked by Green Dr. It is clear that a flat fan is tapered at the edges--not a sharp cutoff--as I thought. The flat fan is designed for boom spraying with the edge of the pattern overlapping for full coverage.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gBeNdTBd0tOnXg

My opinion is that a circular nozzle pattern is best for back pack use or for any type of back and forth motion. Just do not delay much as you reverse motion at the far right (and left). And for spot spraying: use a sweeping motion for individual weeds, (if you want to avoid overdosing the spot).

Last edited by RigglePLC; 09-27-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: link
Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also interesting to note from that study that, at least for the fungicides tested, the finer the droplet size the better the results. That would seem to dispute the use of air induction nozzles for their coarse droplet properties particularly at the low pressures you would encounter with manual backpacks. Coarse droplets may control drift but they don't provide adequate coverage of the turf. I suspect that these results would apply to herbicides also.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, the finer the spray the better the kill. We use ProLawn Shielded sprayers. The use a very fine mist and are covered. I dare anyone to get better results than what a Pro Lawn sprayer will give them.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com