Register free!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

From NJ School IPM manual:

"Minimum risk" pesticides. The following lists "active" ingredients (the ingredient with the pesticide value) that are exempt from EPA regulation assuming the product meets certain conditions. If these ingredients are in a product that is properly labeled with all ingredients (both active and "inert"), does not claim to control disease-carrying pests, and does not make false or misleading claims, they are considered "minimum risk" and thus able to be used as a low impact pesticide under the law.

Castor oil (U.S.P. or equivalent)
Cedar oil
Cinnamon and cinnamon oil
Citric acid
Citronella and citronella oil
Cloves and clove oil
Corn gluten meal
Corn oil
Cottonseed oil
Dried blood
Eugenol
Garlic and garlic oil
Geraniol
Geranium oil
Lauryl sulfate
Lemongrass oil
Linseed oil
Malic acid
Mint and mint oil
Peppermint and peppermint oil
2-Phenethyl propionate (2-phenylethyl propionate)
Potassium sorbate
Putrescent whole egg solids
Rosemary and rosemary oil
Sesame (includes ground sesame plant) and sesame oil
Sodium chloride (common salt)
Sodium lauryl sulfate
Soybean oil
Thyme and thyme oil
White pepper
Zinc metal strips (consisting solely of zinc metal and impurities)

These active ingredients listed above may be combined with any of a number of "inert" ingredients from a list published by EPA. This list of minimum risk inert ingredients is known as List "4A". The up-to-date 4A list can be obtained from EPA's website.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a reminder that mosquitos only hatch out in standing water and that BT (Vectobac) in powder form is highly effective for mosquito control. > bacterial spores which the larvae (wrigglers) eat and die. We have used this on our farm for over twenty years with an 80% reduction in mosquitos.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
From NJ School IPM manual:

"Minimum risk" pesticides. The following lists "active" ingredients (the ingredient with the pesticide value) that are exempt from EPA regulation assuming the product meets certain conditions. If these ingredients are in a product that is properly labeled with all ingredients (both active and "inert"), does not claim to control disease-carrying pests, and does not make false or misleading claims, they are considered "minimum risk" and thus able to be used as a low impact pesticide under the law.

Castor oil (U.S.P. or equivalent)
Cedar oil
Cinnamon and cinnamon oil
Citric acid
Citronella and citronella oil
Cloves and clove oil
Corn gluten meal
Corn oil
Cottonseed oil
Dried blood
Eugenol
Garlic and garlic oil
Geraniol
Geranium oil
Lauryl sulfate
Lemongrass oil
Linseed oil
Malic acid
Mint and mint oil
Peppermint and peppermint oil
2-Phenethyl propionate (2-phenylethyl propionate)
Potassium sorbate
Putrescent whole egg solids
Rosemary and rosemary oil
Sesame (includes ground sesame plant) and sesame oil
Sodium chloride (common salt)
Sodium lauryl sulfate
Soybean oil
Thyme and thyme oil
White pepper
Zinc metal strips (consisting solely of zinc metal and impurities)

These active ingredients listed above may be combined with any of a number of "inert" ingredients from a list published by EPA. This list of minimum risk inert ingredients is known as List "4A". The up-to-date 4A list can be obtained from EPA's website.
damn straight!!! and just don't make the claim!!!! second we have been planting some S. garlic and it looks great and really helps long term.

also try some camphora and Alpinia galanga
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anyone plant chamomile to repel mosquitoes?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
damn straight!!! and just don't make the claim!!!!
No, the point is you can make the claim with those products that are listed as exempt. You can state that you are controlling mosquitoes, but not the diseases they carry.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
No, the point is you can make the claim with those products that are listed as exempt. You can state that you are controlling mosquitoes, but not the diseases they carry.
Wow!! Just leave it to them d@m Lawyers to give you another reason to just wanna - smack them in the face...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallaxe View Post
wow!! Just leave it to them d@m liars to give you another reason to just wanna - smack them in the face...
edit...............
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

for those that didn't feel like reading through Barrys link

QUESTION: I have found mosquito and tick repellents on the market shelf that do not have EPA registration numbers. I thought that exempted pesticide products could not be labeled to control these kinds of pests?

ANSWER: Claims that the exempted pesticide controls these kinds of pests are allowed, but no claims may be made to make the consumer believe that they would be protected by using the product from a disease that these insects can carry, such as Lyme disease.

Remember: the claim may only be for the pest, as a pest, and not as a disease vector.

Example of an appropriate claim: “repels mosquitoes and ticks.”

Examples of an inappropriate claim: “repels mosquitoes that can transmit malaria,”or,"Will repel ticks that cause Lyme disease."

QUESTION: I have seen products that say they are "the natural way to control pests," or "safe for kids and pets." Aren't these considered by EPA to be false and misleading claims?

ANSWER: No, not for exempted minimum risk pesticides. Products that meet the criteria for exemption from regulation may make safety claims if true. On the other hand, claims cannot be worded in such a way that implies or states endorsement by EPA or another federal agency or department.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolawnservice View Post
for those that didn't feel like reading through Barrys link

QUESTION: I have found mosquito and tick repellents on the market shelf that do not have EPA registration numbers. I thought that exempted pesticide products could not be labeled to control these kinds of pests?

ANSWER: Claims that the exempted pesticide controls these kinds of pests are allowed, but no claims may be made to make the consumer believe that they would be protected by using the product from a disease that these insects can carry, such as Lyme disease.

Remember: the claim may only be for the pest, as a pest, and not as a disease vector.

Example of an appropriate claim: “repels mosquitoes and ticks.”

Examples of an inappropriate claim: “repels mosquitoes that can transmit malaria,”or,"Will repel ticks that cause Lyme disease."

QUESTION: I have seen products that say they are "the natural way to control pests," or "safe for kids and pets." Aren't these considered by EPA to be false and misleading claims?

ANSWER: No, not for exempted minimum risk pesticides. Products that meet the criteria for exemption from regulation may make safety claims if true. On the other hand, claims cannot be worded in such a way that implies or states endorsement by EPA or another federal agency or department.
Great info.......very succinct
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegal1 View Post
edit...............
I was helping a fella with his Ingles this winter and he start talking about ... liars ...lawyers ...some darn thing
I told him "It didn't matter. Same meaning, pronunciation is only a coloquialism".