Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Tecumseh governor/throttle linkage problems, need some advice

Hello all, just like to introduce myself to the board.

I've spent the last week researching this problem, both on google and on here. I haven't found any definitive solutions to my problem.

I DO have the tecumseh technician's handbook repair manual "692509.pdf", which is a terrific resource, but it doesn't have detailed pictures of the linkage. I downloaded a couple of other manuals, but they aren't detailed enough.

Anyways, here's my problem. I bought a Craftsman snow blower, 5hp 22" cut for real cheap, it runs and it was in great condition. It had two problems though - it needed a new friction disc (common and easy to replace, no help needed), and it runs at wide open throttle (not good). The guy I bought it off of said that it needed a new internal governor - but I also noticed that the governor/throttle linkage looks like it has been tampered with.

From what I've researched, the whole throttle bracket that everything connects to is supposed to have tension, so that it springs back. Mine doesn't do that. a few of the holes are empty, and it looks like the rods, and or springs (missing) should be there. See the pics below.

The blower is a canadian model, and the model number is c950-52024-0 if that helps. The model number doesn't work on searspartsdirect.com, so I can't get a US model numer, like the 596.XXXXXX. I can't find any model number on the Tecumseh engine either - it may have been removed.

If the internal governor needs to be replaced (from what I'm told when I bought it), i think the technician's manual should help me out. BUT, do any of you have any pictures or diagrams of your tecumseh throttle/governor linkage setup? ...because the manual isn't detailed enough.

In an effort to get the best help, I've taken a few pictures of the linkage, and the governor arm. Here are the pictures:

Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, with the engine turned off can you flick the throttle butterfly? It should move freely.

On the parts list you have look at page 36 item 23. This looks closest to yours, but the throttle must move freely. If it's jammed open that could be your problem.

I'm not sure that top rod is the correct one

Good luck, Phil
Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Basically you are **** out of luck when it comes to Tecumseh throttle linkages. Tecumseh basically says make a drawing of it before you take it apart so you get everything back to the same spot as they do not have any records or drawings of specific engines. So if someone else takes it apart and you are the lucky one trying to fix it....good luck is about all the help they give you.

That engine appears old enough that the engine numbers should be stamped into the top of the blower housing. Since its on a sears they wont look like tecumseh numbers. It will be like 143.XXXXXX.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Am I not seeing it, or is the throttle spring missing?

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you where it goes, nor whether that particular
carburetor has one, but I think most of them do...

Here's what I come up with on some pictures off the top of my head:
http://images.google.com/images?clie...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Now you might look further than the first page through those results and maybe play with that
search string some, there's a fair chance of there existing an exact picture somewhere.

Here's another nifty search method I've been using of late with some decent success:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...df&btnG=Search
The key to that search string is the letters pdf at the end, and maybe that was obvious...

One link of particular interest early in those results, not sure if it will work for you, but:
http://www.greenindustryeducation.co...s/Tecumseh.pdf

Another secret to searching, is don't waste more than 15-20-30 minutes with any one particular string or method, that is,
if after the first 4-5 pages you haven't even seen one that's close, stuff like that, back out, start over.
Plan on taking some time to do it, maybe an hour or two total, not too much longer thou.

Last edited by topsites; 03-10-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome, thanks for your responses. my answers are below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
Hi, with the engine turned off can you flick the throttle butterfly? It should move freely.

On the parts list you have look at page 36 item 23. This looks closest to yours...

...I'm not sure that top rod is the correct one
The throttle butterfly moves freely and i can flick it. the spring on the butterfly works as well.

Item 23 is almost exactly what I have, except I have a remote throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
That engine appears old enough that the engine numbers should be stamped into the top of the blower housing. Since its on a sears they wont look like tecumseh numbers. It will be like 143.XXXXXX.
I will have to check the blower housing. So far I can only find the model number located at the back of the blower, on the gear box, near the bottom. i'll look and see if they stamped something into the metal elsewhere - but nothing is obvious enough that the eye would catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Am I not seeing it, or is the throttle spring missing?

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you where it goes, nor whether that particular
carburetor has one, but I think most of them do...
That's the problem I'm not sure if there is a throttle spring missing. I wish I could get someone with this blower, or a similar setup to take a couple of pics for me so i can compare. All I need is a reference and then I'm good to go.

Thanks for the links. A lot of the stuff in the searches I have already seen, but some of it was new.

The governor arm seems not to move as much as it should. Again, I'm not familiar with small engines (I work on car engines) but it doesn't seem to move as I "in-vision" it to.

I'll keep searching.

If anyone else has some insight, please post.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I may be getting somewhere. instead of searching on google for an image/diagram, i figured video might tell a better story.

Found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAxA9CVFvcc

same throttle connection and linkage like I have, minus the remote throttle cable.

Mine does not move like the butterly plate in the video, so I will need to re-look at the linkage tonight.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

one way to find if the internal gov is working. first unhook the govener arm put a pair of vicegrips on it start the engine with the throttle plate at a low speed hold the vicegrips as you increas rpm you should feel the govener pushing the vicegrips. if it pushes it work it it does not....
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Disconnect the conneting rod from the carb to the throttle. If the rod connecting the butterfly plate springs back on its own reconnect the rod, make sure the connecting rod is perfectly straight. This might be the issue. I know it sounds like a no brainer but if that rod is bent it may cause the motor to race or run rough. if the rod does not spring back on the butterfly you mauy have a carb rebuild on your hands.