Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Can I get my equipment online cheaper??

With some of my other interests I can get things much cheaper by ordering online. So far as a newbie I can only find some things at the stores in town, not much selection, but I'd like to know if I can find good deals on trimmers, blowers, mowers thru some online store.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On equipment? generally no. By the time you pay shipping you're usually at or above what you'd pay at a local dealer.

On large equipment like mowers? forget it.

Parts and accessories can usually be found on-line cheaper. but not always.

My local dealer sells things like fuel filters and other small parts for less than I've found them on-line anywhere.

And on shipping costs.... usually don't offset the sales tax break on the small items either.

I do buy a few things on ebay, but again I look at the shipping cost FIRST. Thousands of Ebay sellers make their money on the shipping and handling charges NOT on the item they sell.

The biggest pitfall to on-line purchases are returns..... gotta pay to get it shipped to you and then pay to ship it back. Some companies even make you pay to ship both ways on a "warranty repair"..

Again I do buy some items on-line but 95% of it is at the local dealer. I'm fortunate as there are at least a dozen "dealers" within 30-45 minutes of me which keeps competition stiff and prices down.

I have a love hate relationship with my dealer though.... service is great, parts prices are fair but equipment prices.... he's tough. even though he knows I won't pay retail, he makes it as painful as possible everytime.

Really pissed me off the other day. He had a grass packer listed on ebay for $285.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING. The ad said there was a $40 shipping alowance. So I figure I should be able to buy it in the store for $245+ tax right?

Nope, he claims the manufacturer is "drop shipping" the catchers at no cost to him, the ones in the store he has to pay the shipping...

Well I didnt' just fall off of a truck... he buys these a pallet at a time, he's not paying 40 bucks each shipping on them, maybe 10 bucks.

Wouldn't come off the price. I ordered it elsewhere and will be sure he sees it next time I go by his place...
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

There are only about 3 dealers in my area -San Diego and 2 seem to be overly priced and I can't find prices listed on the sites I've seen so far. This makes it difficult for me to narrow down where to get equipment unless I search somewhere around Los Angeles.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
The biggest pitfall to on-line purchases are returns..... gotta pay to get it shipped to you and then pay to ship it back. Some companies even make you pay to ship both ways on a "warranty repair"..
You said it, bad or incomplete orders too, or like there's an error somewhere...
I find I have to be at least as educated as the folks working at the place in
order not to make a mistake when ordering, then hope they don't foul it up.

A good half the time everything goes smooth, but I dare say another good 10% of the time it doesn't,
and it is a pisser because for the icing on the cake I still don't have what I need!

You HAVE to check your order immediately after it arrives!!!
And I mean check it out real good.
Watch out for 30-day return policies, restocking fees, I've gotten burnt there.

That's just for starters, every single mail order place has these little caveats and "gotchas"

But, it costs more at the dealership, at least now I know why.

Last edited by topsites; 03-10-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get my stuff through ebay sometimes, spindles and such, a whole lot cheaper. Sometimes it is cheaper from the dealer than online. Time to price shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
On equipment? generally no. By the time you pay shipping you're usually at or above what you'd pay at a local dealer.

On large equipment like mowers? forget it. ...
Not true, check out the Quick 36 mowers from Better Outdoor Products !!

Website == www.quick36.com
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can usually get things cheaper online...but I usually wind up never doing it.

Ask if its worth it when you need to get it fixed. My dealer supplies me with a loaner (for warranty work) and it seems I get put first in line for repairs. There is something to be said about giving you business to a dealership even if it is a few bucks more. just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that it is important to buy from a dealer with a good service dept. and good customer service. My dealer gives me a demo anytime my mower breaks with or without warranty. Thats HUGE! No downtime! I by everything from them, even if i can save a few bucks somewhere else. They dont have the big brands exmark, scag, etc. but they have good equipment and now days equipment is really just a name. Same wheel motors, hydro pumps, engines, etc.