Register free!

Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Fix it or replace it?

I'm a home owner that is looking for some ideas and suggestions before contacting some local hardscaping companies. I moved into the house last year, and have since noticed some issues with the existing paver install, and I'm also looking for advice on how to deal with a drainage issue before paving the driveway.

First, I've got a major issue with pooling water in the spring, and freezing into ice overnight. My wife runs a home based daycare and this spot is where all of the parents and children walk in the morning, so I'd really like to clear this up.

You can see some water pooled at the moment, and it's part of a larger walk shown below:

The entire walk slopes towards the drive and this point. We are looking at getting the driveway paved in the near future (asphalt), but I'd like to have some ideas on how to fix this pooling at the same time. I also think it will be necessary to raise the grade of the pavers to match where the driveway will be, but I'm not sure.

I also have an issue on both this walkway and the one beside the garage with separation of the pavers. Do they need to be pulled, the base re-compacted and re-laid? What would be the best way to remove the last step on the porch and use pavers instead?

Porch step:

Paver separation:

Paver separation:

Paver separation beside garage:

Lastly, on the stretch that runs beside the garage, it ends flush with the deck. Below is a picture of the "retaining wall" (for lack of a better term) that is supporting the end of the walk. What would be the best way to fix this as it does not look like a professional job:

Retaining wall:

Retaining wall:

I do plan on talking to a professional in the area as well, but I thought I'd get some opinions on here first.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will leave some other guys to give you professional opinions on the pavers, but it certainly looks like it needs to be redone, not necessarily replaced. You have no retention on the edging stone from the way it appears in your pictures and that is pretty much going to spell disaster immediately...The paver base looks iffy at best, fortunately you have the pavers, so its mainly labor.

Anyway, the pooling effect you are having could probably be best handled with a catch basin. They are a bit guady, but get the job done. The only problem you will have is, the water that goes into the catch basin has to go somewhere and from your pics I can't see the grade or a possible outlet and if the weather is really cold it could certainly freeze through the open spaces fairly quickly. If you are really worried about freezing climates and the possibility of this being an issue you could do a deeper french drain with a heavy topping of 57 stone over a perforated sock pipe, covered with landscape fabric and then a very breathable mix of sand and landscape mix that breathes well (probably not top soil). Once finished you could replace your sod and it would be invisible again, the primary goal with this application is to be deep enough with the french drain so that it doesn't incur freezing too badly, yet a breathable enough layer above (probably 18 - 20 inches) for the water to rapidly disappear before the freezing sets in. The only drawback here is this application isn't as pinpoint accurate as a catch basin, but still very effective.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where's the edging????????
Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The paver problem looks to be caused by a bad base. I see settled areas, and your edging has probably moved because the base is not sufficient to hold the spikes firmly. Get a pro on site to dig into the base and go from there.
The puddling could be a simple fix of just digging away the dirt at the lower side, but it is hard to tell for sure with pictures.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess I should also mention that directly in front of the porch/paver area is my septic tank and field. In taking a quick Wikipedia look, my thoughts were along the lines of the French Drain suggestion, but it'd have to run pretty much the entire 100' or so to the ditch at the front of the property.

Thanks for all the responses, and I guess I'll be talking to someone about re-doing the base.