Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lest we forget

In fact, grass clippings contain valuable nutrients that can generate up to 25 percent of your lawn's total fertilizer needs. A hundred pounds of grass clippings can generate and recycle as much as three to four pounds of nitrogen, one-half to one pound of phosphorus, and two to three pounds of potassium back to the lawn. These are the three most important nutrients needed by lawns and commonly supplied in lawn fertilizers. The other good news is that grass clippings do not contribute to thatch (an organic debris layer between the soil and live grass) since grass clippings are 75-85 percent water and decompose readily.

This comes from: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html

While we are focussing so much on inputs I thought it might not hurt, to remember some of the advantages of an active soil.
This is one. I believe there were others...
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
In fact, grass clippings contain valuable nutrients that can generate up to 25 percent of your lawn's total fertilizer needs. A hundred pounds of grass clippings can generate and recycle as much as three to four pounds of nitrogen, one-half to one pound of phosphorus, and two to three pounds of potassium back to the lawn. These are the three most important nutrients needed by lawns and commonly supplied in lawn fertilizers. The other good news is that grass clippings do not contribute to thatch (an organic debris layer between the soil and live grass) since grass clippings are 75-85 percent water and decompose readily.

This comes from: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1191.html

While we are focussing so much on inputs I thought it might not hurt, to remember some of the advantages of an active soil.
This is one. I believe there were others...
Good post . I think mulching is probably the best thing we can do in a natural program. The three to five percent N from grass clippings is from dry clipping weight. Just having effective mulching mowers goes a long way in itself to improving turfgrass quality before we even start talking about other inputs. I have spent hundreds of hours working with mulching blades-decks deck pitch etc. and have come up with what I think is great mower configurations for mulching cool season grass. When you have customers telling you that their lawn has never looked better and you are competing in a area where it is status quo to bag, I think that this is a substantial achievement. Mulch on!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Good post . I think mulching is probably the best thing we can do in a natural program. The three to five percent N from grass clippings is from dry clipping weight. Just having effective mulching mowers goes a long way in itself to improving turfgrass quality before we even start talking about other inputs. I have spent hundreds of hours working with mulching blades-decks deck pitch etc. and have come up with what I think is great mower configurations for mulching cool season grass. When you have customers telling you that their lawn has never looked better and you are competing in a area where it is status quo to bag, I think that this is a substantial achievement. Mulch on!
Do you think many of the mulching mowers are fairly equal?
What should we be looking for in a properly pitched mulching blade?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Do you think many of the mulching mowers are fairly equal?
What should we be looking for in a properly pitched mulching blade?
No...

The deck is pitched, IMO zero pitch is best for mulching.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
No...

The deck is pitched, IMO zero pitch is best for mulching.
I have been pushing my customers to mulch instead of bagging. Less work for them, returning nutrients and OM to the soil, etc... For the homeowner that mows himself, what mulching blade would you recommend. Just curious because I have many customers that ask for this advice.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest a mulching blade made for that specific mower by the manufacturer, or a gator blade.

just my .02

What other suggestions do people have?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
I would suggest a mulching blade made for that specific mower by the manufacturer, or a gator blade.

just my .02

What other suggestions do people have?
Thanks JD. I think there is another called Ninja. I figure the makers of these "aftermarket" blades probably manufacture them for a broad range of mower types. I just have no experience with them and I thought someone with experience might know which was best. I let my clippings fly out of the chute on my personal lawn.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I may get blasted for this, but I personally think "mulching mowers" are over rated. They fall into the laziness of our society. If you follow the rule of thumb that dictates NEVER removing more than 1/3 of the plant in a single mowing pass, I don't believe you get that much benefit from chopping the clippings that much more. If a residential lawn is kept at 3" for mowing height (actually, 3" turf doesn't look that bad if it is healthy and thick, just don't need to find a golf ball in it!) you just have to mow before it gets to 4.5" tall. That isn't that hard to do unless your in a climate where spring rains can prevent you from making the scheduled mowing. Then, you raise the mowers and make an extra trip back by in a day or two when you lower the mower back down. Many LCO's want to buck this step. They say its "to much work". You should be getting paid by the trip. If you missed a trip for rain, you owe the customer a mowing.

All that being said, if mulching is your desire, we have great luck with gator blades. I wish they made gators for my JD rough mower.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
I may get blasted for this, but I personally think "mulching mowers" are over rated. They fall into the laziness of our society. If you follow the rule of thumb that dictates NEVER removing more than 1/3 of the plant in a single mowing pass, I don't believe you get that much benefit from chopping the clippings that much more. ...
Do you mean in the sense of slicing and dicing the grass blades, extra times before it hit the ground, isn't that much extra benefit?
I don't like mulchin myself, I typically side shoot. I believe it disappears into the grass and starts digesting just as quickly.

Bagging on the other hand is just removing everything the plant put into growing that grass. Even at 80% water that is still a lot of dry matter per week. I have 2 lawns that fill up the full sized pickup bed every week. Each!!
One I can use to mix in the mulch pile, the other is a Chemlawn special, so I seldom take anything there for personal use. Except to suffocate the weeds around my horseshoe pit.