Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Radio can be iffy media for the green industry. Go to RNDSIGNS.COM and see hundreds of ideas as to what green industry companies are doing all over the U.S. Request a FREE marketing handbook.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We tried this in the past with clear channel communications who own nearly every TV and radio station around here.

The only luck we had were on the "easy listening" stations. Older folks with money, "executives" etc. primarily listen to these stations.

HOWEVER we did not continue the ads. We got lots of calls but most were out of our service area, old folks that wanted to "chat" and folks that wanted something for nothing.

We did land enough work to pay for the ads (once we switched to the easy listening stations only) but it wasn't worth answering the phone dozens of times a week and getting into conversations that you knew from the get go weren't going anywhere.

AND many of the older folks called over and over and over again!

We stick with personal contact and asking for REFERRALS!!!!

Almost 30yrs and that's still by far the best source of new customers and it costs nothing.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
We tried this in the past with clear channel communications who own nearly every TV and radio station around here.

The only luck we had were on the "easy listening" stations. Older folks with money, "executives" etc. primarily listen to these stations.

HOWEVER we did not continue the ads. We got lots of calls but most were out of our service area, old folks that wanted to "chat" and folks that wanted something for nothing.

We did land enough work to pay for the ads (once we switched to the easy listening stations only) but it wasn't worth answering the phone dozens of times a week and getting into conversations that you knew from the get go weren't going anywhere.

AND many of the older folks called over and over and over again!

We stick with personal contact and asking for REFERRALS!!!!

Almost 30yrs and that's still by far the best source of new customers and it costs nothing.
What do you think the primary reason was for not closing the deal on all those calls? What type of ads worked best for you?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyo View Post
What do you think the primary reason was for not closing the deal on all those calls? What type of ads worked best for you?

Thought I'd explained it... old folks wanted someone to talk too (they were lonely) Other folks wanted to pay 20-25 bucks a cut, some were shopping trying to get "ammo" on their current lawn guy to get him to lower his price (several admitted it after we gave them a price.... ie: well I guess my guy ISN'T overcharging me like I thought he was because you're the same price...

And some were doing their own and just wanted to know "how cheap" they could get someone else to do it in the 90-95 degree heat (with sweltering humidity) we get down here most of the summer.

We changed the ad twice.... took out the "low rates" and changed it to "competitive pricing" to try and eliminate some of the cheap skates from calling.... didn't help.

Down here it's already about too late to be running ads and the like, grass is already growing pretty good and most people are already set.

We've had a lot of rain recently which has helped too.

BTW had a call this morning from a lady wanted to know what we'd charge to till up a 1/4 acre and plant/maintain a vegetable garden for her..... told her it'd be cheaper to buy her veggies at the grocery store...

Hour later a buddy of mine called laughing his butt off saying you won't believe the call I just got from some lady!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thought I'd explained it... old folks wanted someone to talk too (they were lonely) Other folks wanted to pay 20-25 bucks a cut, some were shopping trying to get "ammo" on their current lawn guy to get him to lower his price (several admitted it after we gave them a price.... ie: well I guess my guy ISN'T overcharging me like I thought he was because you're the same price...

And some were doing their own and just wanted to know "how cheap" they could get someone else to do it in the 90-95 degree heat (with sweltering humidity) we get down here most of the summer.

We changed the ad twice.... took out the "low rates" and changed it to "competitive pricing" to try and eliminate some of the cheap skates from calling.... didn't help.

Down here it's already about too late to be running ads and the like, grass is already growing pretty good and most people are already set.

We've had a lot of rain recently which has helped too.

BTW had a call this morning from a lady wanted to know what we'd charge to till up a 1/4 acre and plant/maintain a vegetable garden for her..... told her it'd be cheaper to buy her veggies at the grocery store...

Hour later a buddy of mine called laughing his butt off saying you won't believe the call I just got from some lady!!!

That explains the older ladys, not the "executive type", but anyway I get the gist of it. I would of told the lady my price, at least to till it maybe she wanted an organic gardening approach. Maybe there was opportunity there who knows? Have a good season.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That explains the older ladys, not the "executive type",
They were the ones looking for "ammo" to brow beat their current guy with.

Some of these places were beautiful too... whoever was doing them was doing excellent work. You know the kind.... "why did these people call me?"

Guys dong a excellent job and they're ready to show him the curb if they can save a few bucks.... well the guy that comes along and saves them a few bucks likely isn't going to be giving them the same job the last guy was.

And the ones that made the remarks about "that's what I'm paying now" would stand there for a moment..... waiting.... to see if I'd drop my price to get the job. Told them they were getting their monies worth and should hang onto their current guy as long as he'd have them.

Don't you know that guy would have been "pissed" to know with the kind of work he was giving these folks they're looking to kick him to the curb for maybe 10 bucks... on a job that I priced at $80 bucks a cut?

2 Lexus's sitting in the drive too.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
They were the ones looking for "ammo" to brow beat their current guy with.

Some of these places were beautiful too... whoever was doing them was doing excellent work. You know the kind.... "why did these people call me?"

Guys dong a excellent job and they're ready to show him the curb if they can save a few bucks.... well the guy that comes along and saves them a few bucks likely isn't going to be giving them the same job the last guy was.

And the ones that made the remarks about "that's what I'm paying now" would stand there for a moment..... waiting.... to see if I'd drop my price to get the job. Told them they were getting their monies worth and should hang onto their current guy as long as he'd have them.

Don't you know that guy would have been "pissed" to know with the kind of work he was giving these folks they're looking to kick him to the curb for maybe 10 bucks... on a job that I priced at $80 bucks a cut?

2 Lexus's sitting in the drive too.
Yes I know the type, when I first started I thought "wow I can't beleive I landed this million dollar home" only to find out real quick what a hassle it was, they were always trying to beat me down. One guy told me he was going back to his old landscaper because I was to high. I said fine no problem, he balked and changed the subject and I kept my price. Now I do have very good clients in that category, but theres never a guarantee.

Oh yea, I like how you tell them to hang on to their current guy, I do the same thing I mean if he's doing a good job whats the problem? First of all that could be me, second if I take the job eventually that will be me.