Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander $2400 more than Great Dane Surfer

Is the Wright Stander that much better than the Great Dane Surfer?
Thanks
Turfbuilder
Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own a Sentar and have toured the Wright factory. Big fan of their products thus far.

But D@MN, that's just about a whole mower. I mean, if a Stander is 7K is the Wright 35% better than the Dane?

I'd probably buy the Dane depending on dealer support. WOW.
"Now the guy's gotta come up with Paulie's money every week no matter what...'Business bad?- screw you, pay me.' 'Oh, you had a fire?- Screw you, Pay me.' 'Place got hit by lightning huh?, SCREW YOU, PAY ME'

- Ray Liotta as Henry Hill in Goodfellas
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" surfer, I like it...and even more now, with that price differential. Never used a stander, but I dont think they have (or they used to not) floating decks, which is sort of a negative. Otherwise they are good. $2400 good? probably not.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually a new 52 inch Stander priced out at $7400.00 at a local dealer. The Supersurfer same size and exact engine 23hp Kawasaki priced out at $5200.00
$2200 dif. Now I feel pretty good about my deal.
I picked up a new 2007 Great Dane 52 inch with a 19hp kawasaki. Not a supersurfer with a floating deck though for $3795.00
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a great dane 52" with 19 kaw and looked for months trying to figure out which one was better. I decided to go with the dane because of the price. People say that there is a huge difference, I dont think it is that big, I think it all boils down to what kind of a slope you will be working on. I take mine on somepretty steep hills, it gets kind of squirrely and you have to know how to manage it but it is not that big of a deal. From what I hear the wright sticks to hills like glue. Also not that it makes that big of a deal but the last time I checked the dane goes 9 mph and the wright does 8.5 mph, unless you will be drag racing other lcos I wouldnt make that a big factor. My only complaint with the dane is that with the stock blades the grass tends to clump coming out of the chute, but I bought some mulching blades and problem solved, I can go through 1 weeks growth at full stick and it looks perfect, like I went 2 mph thru it. I will admit that the wright is a better machine anyday but $2400 more, NO WAY. Im am glad that I chose the dane over the wright after all $2400 can buy alot of things. Of course there are some people out there that will undoubtedly post on this saying how much better wright is but remember this, if the wright costs 35% more, you are going to have to mow 35% more lawns and there is no way that the dane is 35% less productive than the wright. Good luck with your decision, I hope I havent Hacked to many people off...

Oh by the way these are some of the slopes that I do with my dane...

The pics dont show the slopes very well they are alot worse than they look, hope this helps.

Encore Walkbehinds, Great Dane Surfer
Stihl Trimmers, Blower, Chainsaws
98 Toyota 4-runner
85 Ford F350 Diesel, 10'x 7.5' Dump Bed
94 Bobcat 7753

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice pics and thanks for the information.
Good Luck this season!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turf-that seems like a decent price...is it a demo?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy1285 View Post
I have a great dane 52" with 19 kaw and looked for months trying to figure out which one was better. I decided to go with the dane because of the price. People say that there is a huge difference, I dont think it is that big, I think it all boils down to what kind of a slope you will be working on. I take mine on somepretty steep hills, it gets kind of squirrely and you have to know how to manage it but it is not that big of a deal. From what I hear the wright sticks to hills like glue. Also not that it makes that big of a deal but the last time I checked the dane goes 9 mph and the wright does 8.5 mph, unless you will be drag racing other lcos I wouldnt make that a big factor. My only complaint with the dane is that with the stock blades the grass tends to clump coming out of the chute, but I bought some mulching blades and problem solved, I can go through 1 weeks growth at full stick and it looks perfect, like I went 2 mph thru it. I will admit that the wright is a better machine anyday but $2400 more, NO WAY. Im am glad that I chose the dane over the wright after all $2400 can buy alot of things. Of course there are some people out there that will undoubtedly post on this saying how much better wright is but remember this, if the wright costs 35% more, you are going to have to mow 35% more lawns and there is no way that the dane is 35% less productive than the wright. Good luck with your decision, I hope I havent Hacked to many people off...

Oh by the way these are some of the slopes that I do with my dane...

The pics dont show the slopes very well they are alot worse than they look, hope this helps.
That last yard looks like it has some pretty bad tracking....that would be trouble in southern grasses in hot weather.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mr Mow
It is not a Demo. I saw them on Craigs List. The Dealer had 3 with a 52 inch and 19hp kaw and 1 with a 23hp kaw. My buddy took the 23hp. They all have less than 1hr. on them. They may have 1 left yet. 2 year warranty and they will service them. The 23hp went for $4200.

Turf
Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That last yard looks like it has some pretty bad tracking....that would be trouble in southern grasses in hot weather.
I think it is just the pic, I have very few problems with tracking

Encore Walkbehinds, Great Dane Surfer
Stihl Trimmers, Blower, Chainsaws
98 Toyota 4-runner
85 Ford F350 Diesel, 10'x 7.5' Dump Bed
94 Bobcat 7753