Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2002, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employee Pay Rates:

What are the going rates on employees theses days, I have interviewed nearly 50 people the last few days and it seems the rates have gone up...

Maint. Foreperson : anywheres from $11-$18 and hr.

Construction Foreperson: $12-$18 also.

interviewed one spanish fellow, and he told me he wants $18.00 an hr. to work construction, had exp. with every retaining wall block out and every paver etc. claims he is an expert in all aspects of Landscape Construction..expert mason, expert with bobcats, mini-ex's etc. valid lic. 10 yrs exp... etc, sounds like he really knows his sh*t
Is $18.00 reasonable?? or too high.. i am used to about $14-15 and hr... have times changed a little? What do you guys pay experienced construction personel???
Old 03-15-2002, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bryan,

I don't know if this helps at all, but I pay my guys from $15 - $20 an hour...and that's just mowing, mulching, prunning, etc....no heavy stuff like you do.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Test them... break down a sample job and talk through it. Ask spot questions to see if they do know their stuff. Set up a test with your excavator/skid steer. Make him demonstrate his knowledge. Look at jobs that he ran at the last company. How far back can you go? Look at the quality one year, five years plus back - basically look at his "portfolio". Check out his last place of employment. Was he there for five years plus? Job jumping to higher pay rates can artificially inflate their pay rate - looking at the past three years should give you a decent idea of his earning potential. What kind of revenue did they generate. It's not all about laying block. Did they manage the job - or just baby sit a crew? To pay someone $40 to $45 K a year not including your burden costs means he's got to be able to produce $xx for your company. Can he do it? If yes - then hire him. Easy to say hire a back up in case he doesn't work out - but that's more money, and that's assuming you could find him. Arm chair quarter backing here.
Old 03-15-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great reply, Lawnlad. I like the point of putting them through a couple of "exercises" and wondering if they babysat or really "managed".
Old 03-15-2002, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawn lad is right on and also can he TRAIN new employees to have the same experience that he has....a high paid man in my opinion should be capable to train others
Old 03-16-2002, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Call..

I did ask a many questions about technique to laying pavers and block walls... I acted like I had no clue.. and the 2 guys were on the money with the right answers.... I was thinking about hiring them as a trial basis.. maybe a compromised pay of like $15/hr... test them out a week or two.. and see what they got....what u's think of that???
Old 03-16-2002, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Every one I hire is on a 90 day trial basis.

Best saying I ever heard was "Slow to hire, quick to fire".

If he know his stuff $18 an hour is well worth it. He sounds like he is a diamond in the ruff.

Send him here.

I have found Lawn Care is around $12 to $17 an hour and landscaping is around $15 to $20 an hour for good people.

I paid one guy $22 but he went to some one else for $1 more and I would have paid him that for landscaping.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't care what they "want" for pay.
This is what the job pays.
Period.
Accentuate the other positive aspects of working for you too.
All surveys state that money isn't everything to the employee, but that's where they start.
Sell your company to perspective employees just as hard as you sell your company to perspective customers.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I worked for a lawn company a couple of years ago who hired me as a forman at $12.00 the guys below me made 7.50 hr. 60 days later the owner became pregnant and her husband got laid off. She told me that they had to make a few cut backs. She said that she was giving the workers a paycut to 7.00 hr and cutting me back to 7.50.....

I started my buisness the next week!
(765) 674-6373
SIMA Member