Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2009, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl hs 45 problems

hey guys i was wondering if any of you could help me out with my hedge trimmer. first of all its the Stihl hs 45. ive only had it for maybe three years with little use. I took it out the other day and it had problems running at full speed. It seemed like there wasn't enough fuel coming in so it would just die if i kept it running a full speed. Running at half speed it did great, no problems what so ever.

Im thinking its a carb. issue. ive only used it maybe 15 times though. Do you see anything else that could cause this problem.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it has been used so sparingly, and you have kept fuel in the tank and carb, then probably the fuel mix has hardened up in the carb jets and channels. Did you always drain it of fuel entirely before leaving it idle for long periods? If not, then the fuel lines, carb, etc, probably are partially clogged, thus impeding the flow of fuel to allow it to run full speed. Suggestion: It is time for a good cleaning!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Uhm, first thing I would do is replace that little square black-and-grey foam air filter.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Based up on your description, I would clean the carb and replace the diaphragms. It sounds like the diaphragms are stiff and no longer pumping enough fuel to keep the engine running at wide open throttle. You will also want to check the fuel lines, fuel filter, and the air filter too.

Keary
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the HL 45 hedgers. I had almost 3 years of commeercial use out of them and had similar problems. I broke down the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner, rebuilt the carb, replaced plug and fuel filter. I adjusted the carb and it runs fiine now. The rebuild kit was kinda expensive, but beats buying a new carb.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FIRST please do this before you do something that you don't have to. Remove the exhaust screen in the muffler. More than likely it has become clogged and not allowing unit to exhaust preventing you from getting full RPMS. And be sure to replace any old fuel with new fuel prior to any mechanic work.

THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A CARB ISSUE. SO DONT MESS WITH THE CARB UNTIL YOU DO THIS!

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

ljhanson12345,
These guys have given you some really good advice, that fact that the engine is running says that your fuel pump diapham and metering diaphram are working. I would follow these two steps.

RonAyersMotorsports
Quote:
FIRST please do this before you do something that you don't have to. Remove the exhaust screen in the muffler. More than likely it has become clogged and not allowing unit to exhaust preventing you from getting full RPMS
ABeautifulCutAboveInc.
Quote:
I adjusted the carb and it runs fiine now
If your carb has adjustments, you would open counter clockwise the H or high speed adjustment about a 1/4 turn and then test. If it dosnt make any difference then one more 1/4 turn ccw. If that dosnt solve the problem check and clean your tank filter. if you have done all these things and it still wont rev-up then you need to rebuild your intire fuel system or take it to a shop that can do it. of course its Spring and the local shops are filling-up with repairs so I hope the first two suggestions work.

good luck and thanks for posting on lawnsite

Mike
Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAyersMotorsports View Post
FIRST please do this before you do something that you don't have to. Remove the exhaust screen in the muffler. More than likely it has become clogged and not allowing unit to exhaust preventing you from getting full RPMS. And be sure to replace any old fuel with new fuel prior to any mechanic work.

THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A CARB ISSUE. SO DONT MESS WITH THE CARB UNTIL YOU DO THIS!
Exactly. I would do this first, has not happened on my hs45, but has happend on my 250 trimmer. QUick and easy to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the muffler screen first. Before you tear into a carb you may get lucky with a little Seafoam. Worth a try.