Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for pictures of Mini-Van setups

I have seen a few truck with their equipment all piled in - after all it is exposed for anyone to see.

Since I have a mini van (Mazda MPV) I need lots of ideas on how to put my 21" lawnmower, trimmer, hand or BP blower, edger and everything else that is needed. Yesterday I saw an elderly mans van, same make, but his equipment was just thrown on the floor where ever it. I wasn't impressed with how it look, except that everything fit and he can lock the equipment inside.

So if anyone can help out with pictures, I'd appreciate it especially if it include how to include a roof rack to carry stuff.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't think too many people use mini vans. There is a company around here that uses ford cargo vans, like the E-250's. I personally don't think that a mini van would be as professional as a truck. And if your worried about things getting stolen, just get lockable racks on your trailer.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a joke, right??!! I hope so! Ive never seen anyone using a minivan to cram mowing equipment into, however I have seen someone driving an old delta 88 (big hoopty of a car) with a 21" pusher stuffed into the trunk along with the homelite curved shaft trimmer and ryobi handheld blower hanging out of the trunk!! This is the same guy who advertises "Every yard cut for $10 I will admit,I didnt start out with a huge trailer filled with $10K mowers, but I at least had a truck and made wise purchases in the beginning to get me where I am at today. At least we can take comfort in knowing 98% of people who operate like this dont make it longer than a season or two. Sorry for being so blunt, but the truth is low-ballers hurt this industry and causes our revenues to get smaller and smaller, as well as our industry being number 2 in industries that the public doesnt trust or have much respect for.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

The joke of the day.....

Old 03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
... a company around here that uses ford cargo vans, like the E-250's ...
I have seen this also ... it looks like it actually works !! They got a 36" WB into the van along with all the supplementary equipment and supplies that they need ... it looked like it works very well for them.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The guy uses a 21" mower, just how big of a truck and trailer do you think he needs? I would suggest a F350 or 450 dually pulling a 28' gooseneck trailer. Maybe a cube van with 12' folding ramp on the back so he doesn't have to lift the 21" mower in? I would also sell the gaser 21" and get a diesel 21" so that you would only have to stop for fuel once or twice a season.
California mow, blow and go likely could use a minivan no problems. Here you would have a tough time finding enough small lawns to make a cent with a 21" mower. That being said our best paying account is mowed with a 21" mower, but it's only one lawn and no more like it. (steep hillside account that only a 21" will cut, $2 a minute but only 10 minutes to cut)
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a guy in my area that uses a van and does only push mowing jobs...he also bags! Yep, he throws all the clippings into the van and loads up his push mowers. Personally, we chuckle at the idea. I do not think it looks professional, but it must work for him. There is always grass in the back of his van. There was also a guy with a Chevy Citation...mowers hanging out the hatch part and weed wackers hanging out the door windows...these guys don't last long in the business!

Trade the van in and get a truck and a smaller trailer.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solution = ditch the van.

Most potential customers once seeing your "rig" will politely blow you off.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What ever you do, make sure you get a license to pass gas.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
Most potential customers once seeing your "rig" will politely blow you off.
Not true. There are a LOT of people who would perceive that as a sure sign of a bargain.

If this is a legitimate post, don't get a truck unless you have the cash to pay for one. I would assume you're the "weekend warrior" lawn guy, so you want to put as little into the business as possible until you're bringing in enough $$$ to justify upgrades and pay for them in cash. No doubt, there will be others, in debt up to their gills, who'll disagree with me... but they're the guys who think that image (i.e. a $40k truck) is what gets them business .)

Stay humble, sell YOU (not your car). As for how to pack your stuff in there... I haven't the foggiest.