Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Which is why I asked the question. Ok let me rephrase: will the deck mounting/suspension design on the 60 be the same as the others?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMALLTIME22 View Post
Which is why I asked the question. Ok let me rephrase: will the deck mounting/suspension design on the 60 be the same as the others?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't see why they would change, the one I demoed was a 52" I think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Sponsor

Smalltime22 -

The GrandStand 60” will have the same floating deck / carrier frame design as our 48” and 52” models. Deck height of cut can be adjusted from the operator zone with a lever and pin design.

-The Toro Company
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the grandstands are not floating decks! why they did this i have no idea but i agree with whoever said for the price that toro is selling these at they need to have floating decks, or at least offer it as an option...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
Smalltime22 -

The GrandStand 60” will have the same floating deck / carrier frame design as our 48” and 52” models. Deck height of cut can be adjusted from the operator zone with a lever and pin design.

-The Toro Company

Toro Company,

So my 48" Grandstand has a floating deck ? Can you please explain this design to us. Ask any dealer they will tell you it's a fixed deck. Thanks for clearing this up.
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Sponsor

Bob_n_Weave -
As you have seen in this and other threads, people have different interpretations when describing the differences between fixed decks and floating decks. While there doesn't appear to be a universally accepted definition, we typically think of floating decks as cutting decks that are capable of moving relative to the machine's chassis or carrier frame during operation. In contrast, the cutting deck on a fixed deck machine is rigidly mounted to the frame and cannot move relative to that frame during operation.

It appears that some people rely upon the presence or absence of anti-scalp rollers as an indicator of whether or not a machine has a floating deck. It is true that in most cases, floating decks include anti-scalp rollers (or some other anti-scalp device) that aid the cutting deck in "floating" over uneven terrain (most would agree this is the primary benefit of having a floating deck). However, not all floating deck machines have or require anti-scalp rollers, and not all cutting decks containing anti-scalp rollers are actually floating decks. Similarly, while it is common to find single-point, quick-adjust height-of-cut systems (like the GrandStand) on floating deck models and not on fixed deck models, exceptions can and do exist.

Toro GrandStand models are labeled as floating deck machines, because the deck hanging system allows the deck to "float" relative to the frame as described above. This was done to allow operators to raise and lower the deck height-of-cut directly from the operator zone. While we recognize this design may not exactly match everyone's perception of a floating deck, the current GrandStand models are clearly not fixed deck machines. As we described elsewhere in this forum, the original design of the GrandStand included anti-scalp rollers, but the rollers were removed from the design in response to feedback from the landscape contractors that tested the original prototypes. Due to the close position of the drive tires and caster wheels to the edges of the deck, the anti-scalp rollers were of minimal benefit (the threat of scalping -- particularly in an area where anti-scalp rollers could be added -- was small), and eliminating the anti-scalp rollers allowed for a more compact machine as the deck could be moved closer to the drive tires and castor wheels.

As stated previously in this thread, the design of the deck hanging system for the new 60" model will be the same as the deck hanging system on the model year 2010 48" and 52" models (new extension spring design for deck lift assist replaces gas springs). However, the 60" deck will contain anti-scalp rollers, because the wider deck provides both the need for, and space for anti-scalp rollers. The new 36" and 40" Grandstand deck hanging system is executed somewhat differently due to the very compact nature of the machines, however, fundamentally it operates the same as the larger deck machines.

-The Toro Company
Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A floating deck in my opinion will move freely indipendant of each side, this is not the case with the Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro Company, thank you for your responses I do appreciate what you have to say and the fact that you take time to speak with us...I can see what you are saying about the decks but from personal experience the deck doesn't float...my main example would be going around a tree that the ground is somewhat elevated around the base for, the edge of the deck digs right into/through it whereas if you had wheels if would roll right over it...the only reason the "prototype testers" said get rid of the wheels is because wrights until now have controlled the industry and do not have them so it is what they are used to...nothing against wright, they are a great company, but in my opinion toro is a step higher and they need to prove it

also, i have a 2009 36" toro walk-behind with a turboforce floating deck and compared to the 52" turboforce deck it is designed much better...the grandstands deck comes to a point on the trim side where the walk-behind doesn't...the problem is when you are going around that same tree i mentioned earlier the grandstand will tear the elevated turf up where the walk-behind won't...

if the 60" comes with anti-scalp wheels and isn't a truly floating deck then you might be looking at some problems
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

literature

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
mysteryman -

Thanks for your interest. For the 2010 spring season we will be adding 36", 40" and 60" TURBO FORCE deck models. These units will be on display at the GIE+Expo tradeshow in Louisville at the end of October. Literature will be available in December.

-The Toro Company

Toro Company-

Have the specifications of the 36" and 40" Grandstands been released yet? Is the new literature available? If I request a brochure on the Toro site will I get complete (36" through 60" as opposed to only 48" and 52") information? I would appreciate any information/specifications you have to share, thank you.
[also, will the 2010 48" Grandstand offer the same engine or the 'upgraded' ExMark engines] Thank you.