Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Good brief overview of caring for lawns, however their dethaching and aeration photos were pretty nuts. Is this how a warm season turf looks after dethatching in the winter. Bare ground?

Unfortunately they didn't discuss the 'why' a particular practice is better for disease control. And it is probably different from warm season to cool season crops.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Good brief overview of caring for lawns, however their dethaching and aeration photos were pretty nuts. Is this how a warm season turf looks after dethatching in the winter. Bare ground?
No, that is not a lawn (or doesn't look like one to me), and the typical turf in NorCal is fescue. Using the verti-mower they showed, that is kinda what your turf can look like when you are done.

Quote:
Unfortunately they didn't discuss the 'why' a particular practice is better for disease control. And it is probably different from warm season to cool season crops.
You asked for concise.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
...You asked for concise.
The next concise discussion of 'why' certain practices work better, article you come across, then?

thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
In the past, I have had problems with brown patch while using synthetic Ferts. I had a great looking lawn for most of the summer, but inevitably i would need to spray fungicide. I don't know if you can avoid it when you combine high N ferts and our hot humid summers.

So does an organic system eliminate or sig. reduce the potential of getting brown patch? Any thought about this?

Thanks, Pistol
I found this gem the other day, when I was trolling around on the 'net looking for nice, clean printable evidence to support the (true) stance that cotton seed meal will gradually lower soil pH:

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1929/290584.pdf

Obviously...much of our Great Depression ancestry knew their stuff!

But wisdom like this seems to have been lost to most of their WWII-era offspring, and the Baby Boomers that came afterward, because the rapid-fire "progress" of war-inspired chemical technologies raced ahead of simple common sense... much, much too rapidly!

(some interesting stuff....mercury perceived as a turf nutrient still, in 1926!)

Last edited by Marcos; 03-16-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post

http://turf.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1929/290584.pdf

Obviously...much of our Great Depression ancestry knew their stuff!

But wisdom like this seems to have been lost to most of their WWII-era offspring, and the Baby Boomers that came afterward, because the rapid-fire "progress" of war-inspired chemical technologies raced ahead of simple common sense... much, much too rapidly! ...
That was a fun article. Actual testing with clear observation, actual analysis without excessive presuppositions.

An actual observation that the moist lush growth was more susceptible to servere consequence of 'Patch'.

They had established the idea of - 'Patch' weather.
Then, they observed, that High N applications during, 'Patch' weather - made the problem worse.

I think it was a fellow by the name of Jerry Crowler that coigned the phrase, "... educated beyond your intelligence."
That could easily be applied to chemical technologies racing ahead of common sense.

I think today the Tech. has replaced common sense.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I think it was a fellow by the name of Jerry Crowler that coigned the phrase, "... educated beyond your intelligence."
That could easily be applied to chemical technologies racing ahead of common sense.

I think today the Tech. has replaced common sense.

My dad used to get a real kick out of listening to Jerry Crowler.
That's about the only time my step-mom would yell at him to turn down the stereo!

As far as chemical technologies replacing common sense, I don't 100% agree with you.
I think America has ALREADY been there - done that, as a society.

I think in many ways, with more utilization of IPM principles, the use of more and more organics in general, + the ever-present necessity for us now to conserve more of our travel resources while moving from job-to-job, if not to save gas, but to save extra $$$ for the outrageous grocery bills!, we've in many ways already begun to turn the corner back toward "common sense" thinking again.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
we've in many ways already begun to turn the corner back toward "common sense" thinking again.
........... yet we still plant turf in regions with scarce water resources.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
........... yet we still plant turf in regions with scarce water resources.
AZ, NV, NM, ID, UT, & parts of CO, WY & TX
Amen. I couldn't agree more.

But it's not like we have any ability to stop alot of the population from shifting there.
What's going to happen....(unfortunately for the ecosystem AND the people there now)....is the Ogallala Aquifer system is going to be depleted to the point the where it'll be next to impossible to use most of it any longer, commercially.

It'll be about that same point in time we'll see a massive surge of people away from the Great Plains, and back to where they originally came from: the East Coast, Michigan, Ohio, the Dakotas, etc...
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Necessity is the Mother of invention.

When we 'have to' adapt, to a world with no water, - we - then tend to use common sense. To survive.

When the sky's the Limit, to have the best lawn in the neighborhood, we believe anything that makes the grass green as - " The Secret" .
Common sense, not withstanding.

Which brings up an interestting point. :

Are we growing turf that could survive on the Natural Rainfall of a particluar region?
If we are not, then what are we doing?
Grasses were able to thrive without our help b4, now - What have we done to make it better??
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I manage, maintain, grow turf in the high desert for recreational and educational purposes. My home is on natural desert scape w/ no turf and very little vegetation. I also do not irrigate at home. I have offered to put in some minimal drip if the wife wanted some flowers, and I'm looking for a good spot to hide a veggie garden at the golf course
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?