Register free!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pond help needed!!!

Guys- I recently purchased a house with an approximate 1/3- 1/2 acre pond.

It needs an aerification system and an appropriate dose of copper sulfate. - Badly! There is no algae, but lots of underwater plants and some cat tails on the edges.

I need advise on what is a simple to install/ maintain, energy efficient aerification system.... Or should I go with a fountain to stir up O2 in the water?

The pond is in good sunlight so under water plant growth is a problem. Should I stock with a certain type of fish that will consume the plant matter?

I noticed it already has some catfish and perch that are thriving.

Thanks-
Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DO NOT USE COPPER SULFATE!!!! It is extremely toxic to fish. If you presently have a decent stock of fish and no algae, you do not absolutely need aeration. However, a bottom aerator sized to you pond's surface area would be beneficial. You might consider adding some Grass Carp. They will keep the vegetative growth under control.
Sounds like you have a nice earth bottom pond. What is the clarity of the water?
Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clarity- I can see into the water app. 2-3 maybe 4 feet. Yes, it is a mud bottom pond with limestone around the edges.

One issue is that my neighbors leaves constantly blow into the water. Would white amur eat that too?

The plant growth looks somewhat puffy underneath the water. It feels slimy when it is picked up.

I have a friend who added copper sulfate to his pond, and it did not seem to affect the fish population. My ignorance suggested that may be a good idea.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Organic debris, whether your neighbor's or supplied by Ma Nature is a natural occurence in any pond. Once the bacteria have broken it down to a certain point, I am sure that the catfish will take care of it as they are scavengers. The submerged parts of the plants should feel slimy. that is a coating of good algae and various microorganisms essential to the pond's health. Copper Sulfate can be used without killing the fish, but must be done in EXACT dosage and only is indicated if there is overgrowth, which you apparently don't have. Chemical treatments should only be used a a last resort. I would not expect thw water to be crystal clear, some turbidity is expected. You may have the start of a problem only if the water is green. Plants are an important part of any pond's eco-system but, like any garden, may require thinning and weeding from time to time.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a website that I refer alot of homeowners to http://www.weedersdigest.com/
Also bottom aeration vs. fountains depends on your depth. Here's a site for that http://stoneycreekequip.com/form/aquaculture.htm .I purcase alot of stuff from Stoney Creek.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The temp has started to warm slightly and Ive started noticing some algae now floating on the surface.
I would like to put a couple of sterile grass carp in the pond to thin down the vegetation. Where can I purchase them in Ohio?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact the Ohio Fish and Wildlife Dep't. They probably have a website where you can zero in on who to contact. They can probably steer you in the right direction.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Great tips, I am going to check out these systems that you have recommended. I love water pond gardens.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Member

The underwater plants he mentions sound very much like filamentous algae. It would be very interesting to hear what happened after he made his choices of treatment. After the grass carp eat the vegetation and start rolling the mud, he probably went out and tried to treat for that too. He could have started with something like a bacterial treatment to clear algae... then he may or may not have ended up with a weed choked pond. The next usual step would be the grass carp which would work for a while until they overpowered the pond. It is truly a vicious cycle. Eventually he may have succumb to the lake tidy bowl effect of using pond dye. It does work but I am not sure which is worse, lake tidy bowl or a muddy pond.

Such is life when we don't think ahead and do things right the first time.