Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

New scag belt drive

Has anyone seen oe of these in person? Anyone tried one of these mowers out likes dislikes. I know I don't like the briggs engine on it or the non-greasable spindles. Any thoughts. What are they going for compared to the original 36" bel drive?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

21 veiws but 0 replies! Anyone!...Anyone!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my mind it doesn't compare to the regular commericial mowers that Scag build but ....it is a cheap model. For example the belts that drive the wheels are half the size as regular Scag belts....that will be a problem when they get wet. The Briggs is loud... The gearing is too high good for sulky not good for walking. First gear too slow and second to fast. This is a cheap lightweight unit much like the green machines or the low end single hydro Ferris. We considered it but passed for the new Snapper Pro 36" dual hydro but it was almost $4K. So ...if you are looking for cheap well it is there.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
In my mind it doesn't compare to the regular commericial mowers that Scag build but ....it is a cheap model. For example the belts that drive the wheels are half the size as regular Scag belts....that will be a problem when they get wet. The Briggs is loud... The gearing is too high good for sulky not good for walking. First gear too slow and second to fast. This is a cheap lightweight unit much like the green machines or the low end single hydro Ferris. We considered it but passed for the new Snapper Pro 36" dual hydro but it was almost $4K. So ...if you are looking for cheap well it is there.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'll stick with the regular belt drive. It i a shame that they don't make a floating dec on the other belt drives. You think they would get the idea instead of building a seperate new mower that is lower in quality. These companies....What are they thinking!!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrac View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I'll stick with the regular belt drive. It i a shame that they don't make a floating dec on the other belt drives. You think they would get the idea instead of building a seperate new mower that is lower in quality. These companies....What are they thinking!!
Exactly correct...this is the first year we didn't buy from Scag when we needed a mower. Got two fixed deck Scag setting in the shed just can't go back to messing with those shims. And the price on that bicycle handle unit is outrageous.