Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass Cut Height

How do you guys know at what height to cut the yards?
For instance, new customer that you have never cut their yard before, how do you decide?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on the type of grass, here in the south, st. augustine is cut at around 4 to 5 inches. find out what type of grass you will be cutting and do some research.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

do you cut different height depending on the type grass? (sod, centiped, etc.)
Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sure, bermuda grass is cut short at 1 to 2 inches or maybe shorter. bahia grass is at 3.5 to 4 inches. you have to know what type of grass it is to determine the cutting height
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslawn89 View Post
sure, bermuda grass is cut short at 1 to 2 inches or maybe shorter. bahia grass is at 3.5 to 4 inches. you have to know what type of grass it is to determine the cutting height
Not to single you out, but grass here in FL should be cut as followed:

St. Augustine 3-4 inches
Bahia 1-2 inches
Bermuda .5-1.5 inches

its really not healthy for st. augustine to be cut at 5 inches, makes it way too spongy and prone to disease. And bahia cut any higher than 2.5-3 inches just looks tacky.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsLawn&LandscapeInc View Post
Not to single you out, but grass here in FL should be cut as followed:

St. Augustine 3-4 inches
Bahia 1-2 inches
Bermuda .5-1.5 inches

its really not healthy for st. augustine to be cut at 5 inches, makes it way too spongy and prone to disease. And bahia cut any higher than 2.5-3 inches just looks tacky.
i can not see cutting bahia grass at 1 to 2 inches in the summer time. there is no way, grows too fast and if you cut that much off, the lawn will look like crap!, unless you are a mow and blow kinda of guy. 3 inches for st augustine is too low, also will not look good. i had clients that i started maintaining that cut theirs that low and looked terrible, and thin. i raised the cutting height to 4, apply some fert and the clients couldn't believe how the lawn looked! the neighbors even comments how good it looked. anyways, good luck too ya!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

: QUOTE=Ground Control Lawn Care;2857244]do you cut different height depending on the type grass? (sod, centiped, etc.)[/QUOTE]
Where are you in N.C? don't really matter what the customer thinks, it depends on the type of turf. Around here it's fescue and you mow it at 3 1/2 to 4 inches. And by the way "sod" isn't a type of turf
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Of course there are the "ideal" cutting heights for grass. But these are for "ideal" conditions including watering, fertilization and making sure you're not cutting more than the recommended 1/3 length of the blade off.

I know that I mow weekly or bi-weekly, not by how much growth is on the grass blade.

We typically mow our lawns on a 3.5" setting. Which is actually lower when you take a stick to it, due to uneven ground and what not. Everything here is Fescue or Bermuda. With a bit of Zoysia or Bluegrass mixed in. If the lawn is pure bermuda we will go as low as 2.5".
When the growing season is in full swing we may raise the cut .25" to help in productivity.
Typically commercial properties get cut shorter. I think it makes them look cleaner throughout the week and shorter grass doesn't attract litter as bad.
I don't like a huge variance in my cutting heights and cutting too much off just makes a big mess so we will never mow lower than 2" around here. If you want lower, hire someone else.
Good luck.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

i am near pinehurst, nc
Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslawn89 View Post
i can not see cutting bahia grass at 1 to 2 inches in the summer time. there is no way, grows too fast and if you cut that much off, the lawn will look like crap!, unless you are a mow and blow kinda of guy. 3 inches for st augustine is too low, also will not look good. i had clients that i started maintaining that cut theirs that low and looked terrible, and thin. i raised the cutting height to 4, apply some fert and the clients couldn't believe how the lawn looked! the neighbors even comments how good it looked. anyways, good luck too ya!
It's only alot of grass the first time you cut it that low on bahia. After that it slows down and concentrates growth down at the roots. I'll admit the first 2 or 3 times you cut bahia that low it will look yellowish, but after that the lawn will fill in and be green as can be and cut very easily. And I usually cut my st. augustine 4 inches in the summer and 3.5 in the winter. 3-4 inches is what the state reccommends when you take your lawn and ornamental test. and def. not a mow and blow kind of guy....