Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2002, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

early spring fertilization

[In my zone, if I am putting down straight fert. 30-3-6, while the temperatures are still in the thirties, will there be any benefit to the lawn? I work for a major lawncare company , and I am wanting to make sure that the customers are not being taken for granted!
Old 03-17-2002, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That fertilizer should have been put down in the Fall. The fertilizer will not break down untill the temps get warmer and you get moisture. My first app in the spring is pre-emergent with low N. Putting down high N in the spring is screwing yourself if you do the mowing.....gonna be doing alot of double cutting.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with evan....way too much n for the spring in my eyes we mow all that we fert so i stay as low as possible with desires results....most spring apps are pre-m type
Old 03-17-2002, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Im with Evan also. Only use fert with a low n count in the spring. High n in the fall will make it green up faster the next spring.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

My guess is they are using up what they had left over from the fall. I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Millenium Member

Evan nailed it. I put out 19-3-6 with Dimansion, no way would I torture myself outting a 30 n fert down.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ray --- is the 19-3-6 w/Demension and Anderson fertilizer? What Lesco guage # do you set your spreader at? I assume you do two applications of this in the spring, right?
Old 03-18-2002, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!
not to mention Turf Disease!
Old 03-18-2002, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My Lesco dealer told me to put down 12-2-14 this time of year. He said it was a good slow release. I'm am not an expert on this subject so I listen to what they tell me and use what they reccomend.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

12-2-14 70% Slow Potash % 70 % slow N is awesome in Fla right now. A little slow for some but that would depend on how much recovery (growth) you need & the sand content of the soil.
That said, I'll shock everyone with what I just did. Here in CT we've had a pretty mild winter. As such, our family played baseball several times when the ground should have been frozen & covered in snow.
My neighbor (70+years old) & I share a parcel of turf.
I don't maintain it to the same level as the rest of the lawn. I only recently found out how much of it I own.
My son plays baseball & other activities on it. I do all the cutting & spray it for weeds when needed.
With all the winter activity it had on it this year it's looking pretty worn.
To promote recovery ASAP, I just wacked it with 34-0-0 Ammonium Nitrate @ 1lb/N/M. (Yeah, OK. City & '93 WTC) When predictable cool temperature response is desired, ammoniacal nitrogen is the only way to go. It'll grow allright. But thats what I want it to do. After I've mown it a few times, I'll blast it with Primo, Iron, & a contact fungicide. Near instant, high quality turf before most people have even begun cutting.

The moral: There are plenty of tools out there. Learn which is right for the task at hand. Then use them properly. One size fits all? Not in your dreams. Compromise responsibly when you must. Which is most of the time.

Steve