Register free!

Old 03-22-2002, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need help selecting parts.

I'm building my own pull-behind sprayer, partly for budget reasons, partly for the fun of it. I need some help in selecting parts for:
- The flexible tubing for the boom, (planning on having it 6 feet long) what would I use?
- The spray tips. I'm not sure where to get the right ones, how to space them, how they should be priced, etc. Also how would they tap into the tubing?
- Pressurization stuff. I'm planning on having it operated by being placed under pressure before-hand, kinda like an aerosol can. I'd like to have the stem like you put on a tire put on it, so all I need to do is to get the air tank out and put some air to it.
- The valve. I'd like to have something that I could turn on and off from the mower. Any ideas?
Old 03-23-2002, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First I would sugest a 12V. pump. Compressed air will not last to long and you really don't want your pesticide vessel under pressure. Second, you need too decide how many gal/1000sqft you want to apply. This number will determine what nozzel flow and pressure you will need. I would start at a farm store they have all of the things we have discussed. There are also people there that can help you decide what you will need.

Mark
Old 03-23-2002, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy an electric from northern hydraulics. It will funtion fine and you can be out earning $$$ rather than runnning around getting stuff and building.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

sprayer info

I'm building my own sprayer now also and have found some of the answers you're looking for.

This is the best site I've found and you should be able to pick all of this stuff up at your local farm store:

www.teejet.com

You'll find everything from nozzle performance info to plumbing diagrams.

I'm building mine to mount on my Great Dane. I'm using a 35 gallon tank with two electric pumps so I can have good agitation when needed and the ability to apply at high rates if I want. The whole thing will detach with two pins and will have a fully adjustable boom that can accomodate 2-5 nozzles. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask on this also as I finish up :-)

Jeff
Old 03-23-2002, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harold, that would spoil the partly for fun part, now wouldn't it?

Jeff, I like your name ....

I'd be very interested in how you get yours set up. I'm using a 55 gallon drum for my tank, so I'm not quite sure how I'll get the agitator to work (not that I have a clue how they're set up anyway) so I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

55 gal why so big? What are you pulling it with ? How big are yards?
Old 03-23-2002, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why 55 gallons? It was the most economical way to go. The drum was free.
Old 03-23-2002, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Compressed air's not gonna cut it. 12 Volt pumps won't deliver emough volume for multiple tips either. Even lower volume Spraying System tips (the only ones worth using) running at 40psi (lowest engineered reasonable pressure) will deliver around .2 gal per min at minimum. These tips are nominaly spaced at 16" centers in a rigid boom plumbed with hardware store 3/8" flexible tubing. Figure out how wide you want to go in inces. Divide by 16. Thats how many tips & nozzle bodies you need. If you end up with 9 tips @ .33gpm ypu'll need a pump that can deliver at least 3gpm @ 40psi. Therefore a Hypro D19 pump running off a 5 hp engine is the bare minimum.

Spraying Systems catalog contains all the parts needed as well as the plumbing circuit basics.

http://www.spray.com/

You can order these products from reputable chem supply companies.

Steve
Old 03-24-2002, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, these were the questions I still had.

I am planning on using either XR or Turbo Teejet nozzles for this sprayer. Teejet says you can spray with the XRís at 15 psi for excellent droplet size and extremely low drift potential (only 6% of spray droplets smaller than 200 microns).

Now Iíve also had a small pull behind sprayer with 2 cheapo Teejet nozzles and Iíve sprayed as low as 10 psi with that and gotten reasonable coverage. Not what youíd see on golf course equipment but certainly better than with a handheld nozzle. This was also with a small electric pump rated at 1.4GPM @ 60psi. The nozzles were spaced at 30 inches and could cover nearly 60 inches pretty evenly. I got pretty good control with this setup.

For this design Iím planning on two Flotec electric pumps that are 3.0GPM @ 45 psi. Iím going to gang the pumps in parallel and bleed off some for agitation but the way I have it figured, I can spray 3 nozzles at about 5 or 6 MPH at a rate of 45 GPA. Each nozzle is spaced at 30 inches per Teejetís specs. Additionally it looks like I could add two more nozzles and cover even more area but Iíll have to test it to be sure and I would only be able to use it on acreages anyway (mine in particular).

Anyone care to critique the design and give me some feedback? I may have made a critical error somewhere in my math but Iíve been over it a hundred times so I think itís right. Iím a newbie to this, professionally anyway, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff,
As for your question, you should be able to find bulkhead fittings at your local farm store. Iím using two of them on this tank. One to pull from and one for the agitation inlet.

Iíve lurked on here for about 9 months now and have found you regulars to be a wealth of info. Many thanks for increasing my knowledge already. Steve, your input on posts has been especially helpful.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2002, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One company makes a 5gpm electric pump. As long as the pump makes more than the nozzles demand your OK. If it is only weed spray your putting out, agitation isn't too critical as long as the stuff is a liquid like trimed, Lesco 3 way, Millenium Ultra etc. Fill the tank 1/2 way add the goodies then top off let it pump around and drive around to slosh and your good. Stir a little if you like for good measure.