Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yard signs left near public roadways. Professional or not?

I'm really struggling on this issue. I put out around 15 of these signs for snow removal and I gained 3 contract snow clients but I really wonder if they end up reflecting negatively on ones business. My signs are much nicer than the typical signs.

"How to Make CEO income from Home"
"Finally Affordable Health Insurance"
"Sprinkler blow outs $35"

Sorry they just seem to be roadside spam to me I sorta cringe each time I see these signs. Mine are much nicer and easier on the eyes and actually legible - but still. Maybe they thought I was too expensive? Maybe the cheap signs get more calls?

So what I was thinking is putting up an alternative sign that is simpler Just the service listed [not mowing] and a phone number? I also have an alternative business number than just happens to end in "LAWN". No official Logo or regular number just the service and the number.

I just have such mixed feeling about these signs....?

Any input?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have signs up and they are not the nicest ones I have ever seen or I have ever had but what I found is it doesn't really matter the people that are going to look at them are going to look at all of them and you mostly get women or old men that are retired. The return rate on them is not as good as what I thought they would be but still worth it. I receive around 4 jobs per year from the signs.

I put the signs where ever they allow me to put them. If people don't like the signs I figure they are not going to be looking at them anyone to get a neg. opinion on my business.

I say put them up and good luck.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Pretty much what dewos said. Although I have had better luck with mine. I have noticed that simplicity sales. The most basic signs are the ones that I have had the best luck with. Also, I use a white sign with dark colored writing, like black or forest green. I think that people only have a few seconds to read the sign, and you need to get you point across quickly. A sign that is complicated, has small writing, or is overly detailed takes to long to process the info.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the input.

I agree on the simplicity issue. I think to avoid any negative "road side spam" reflections on my official company I will use my alternate biz number which ends in LAWN and is easy to remember and no Logo or main biz number or even the Co. name

I'm thinking of using the Vista Print lawn sign in 18" x 27" the one that shows a Quick BOP mower.

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/easy...6xnav%3dsearch

2 or 3 basic services listed then the phone number that ends in LAWN.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I love Vista Print but be very careful with that sign it seems like the number is not going to be a dark color and may not be big enough.... maybe just try buying one to see. Although i like vista print it maybe better to find a company that deals with bulk ordering... I bought 200 and been using them for the past 2 years saved alot of money.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewos View Post
I love Vista Print but be very careful with that sign it seems like the number is not going to be a dark color and may not be big enough.... maybe just try buying one to see. Although i like vista print it maybe better to find a company that deals with bulk ordering... I bought 200 and been using them for the past 2 years saved alot of money.
Yes the pre set font colors are wrong - stock font is hard to read - I fixed all that. I'm only going to put them in very select areas so I only need 10 max

**2nd** thought

The quick mower takes up much space and makes the fonts smaller - it may not be worth going with this one. Does the quick mower really add enough to justify it. I belive I'm the only one in the area with one.

I'd Rather Be Flying

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 03-19-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here it is fire away
Attached Images

I'd Rather Be Flying
Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks Good but i still feel like the size maybe an issue, and may be a little more info the someone could read going 25 down the road... But try it. good luck

What about LANDSCAPING AND LAWN CARE! covers all areas
Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Never been a big fan of road side signage... Mainly because if you spend the money, people will steal your sign and put there crap on it! Seen and heard this happen plenty of times AND to me it just doesn't look nice....

Although, on the opposite side of the spectrum, there was a guy here locally that just made a sign with a website on it... something like www.gobig.com or something like that... never said what it was or anything and received a ton of hits for his site, we actually were curious and checked it out and it was for some herbalife health crap... BUT the moral of the story is less...attracted more.... So if your gonna do a sign, I would say less is better...Just my .02 hope it helps
Old 03-19-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm really not a landscaper per say and it becomes very unprofitable for me to get bogged down with other projects that I'm not really set up for. I learned last year I started loosing money hand over fist when I go outside my niche services.

Here are 3 different versions I have come up with.

I have also alternated the "power edging" with "power racking".

Even though the Quick mower looks nifty it does chew up space for bigger letters. I wish Vista Prints had a version of this with Just the Sky and grass as a background and I'd go with that.

Or the last option is just a white background with the biggest letters possible for the services and then a phone number.

This is the thing about all forms of advertising it's all a hit and miss gamble. No need for me to go to Vegas or buy lottery tickets - I just spend it on marketing.
Attached Images

I'd Rather Be Flying