Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
jtkplc's Avatar
jtkplc jtkplc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,648
Echo & Shindaiwa Merge Operations

https://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Ech...perations.aspx

I got this from Lawn and Landscape.
__________________
No longer in the lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,374
It's going to take a little getting used to saying Yamabiko! Oh well.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
jtkplc's Avatar
jtkplc jtkplc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's going to take a little getting used to saying Yamabiko! Oh well.
It will just broaden our horizons a little more!
__________________
No longer in the lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:00 AM
tallimeca tallimeca is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North East
Posts: 1,230
old news

basically the long and the short of it is parents companies merged, echo shareholders are majority owners.

Shindaiwa will now be sporting about 8-12 rebranded echo models, that echo is no longer using.

Primarily had to do with the fact shindaiwa's engines were meeting emissions. They have been using echo chain saws for some time now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 AM
driver5's Avatar
driver5 driver5 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nashville Tennessee
Posts: 263
this is a direct quote from the article in the first post:

“Both ECHO and Shindaiwa are well respected premium brands in the outdoor power equipment industry. The merger of these operations will result in an efficient organization with lower costs, allowing both brands to be even more competitive in the North and South American markets,” said Yasushi Asamoto, chairman of Yamabiko.


what I read is that both companies will still sell the brand names. Just like Exmark is owned by Toro, but they keep their names so that still have a competitive market.
__________________
Full Time Fire Fighter / Part time LCO

Exmark Lazer Z 60" 27HPLQ
TT 60" 23HPKC
everything else you would
need to get things done.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 AM
kaferhaus kaferhaus is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
but they keep their names so that still have a competitive market.
You believe that? Echo just wanted some of Shin's technology (patents)
Shin is a minor player in the market compared to Stihl, Echo, Husq etc.

And they'll end up offering few products that directly compete with each other. They'll merge the distribution and central overhead aspects of the business and the products will end up being re-badged this or that with different cowlings, guards etc.

And with Echo's Home Depot marketing mentality, they'll likely try to push Shin off as the more "pro grade" models.

I have no problem with their marketing, that's their business. But the dealers have been none too happy about it. Especially with the liberal return policies of Home Depot.

I've a neighbor who needed to fell some trees..... has no use for a chain saw but every few years, didn't want to pay anyone to do it (trees weren't that tall 20ft or so) so he goes to HD, buys a chainsaw, cuts down his trees and promptly returns the saw for a refund.

Then tells me he did the same thing with a tow behind leaf vac he bought from Lowes... and a pressure washer from Sears.. all with a big you know what eating grin on his face.

This is a "nice" neighborhood, the guy makes over 200K a year.

I said "and you're telling me this why? I think it's disgusting"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
huskres huskres is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 284
What your neighbor is doing sounds more like fraud. And you wonder why some companies are in trouble.
__________________
A whole bunch of metal that makes me money...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Please_Be_Green Please_Be_Green is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
You believe that? Echo just wanted some of Shin's technology (patents)
Shin is a minor player in the market compared to Stihl, Echo, Husq etc.

And they'll end up offering few products that directly compete with each other. They'll merge the distribution and central overhead aspects of the business and the products will end up being re-badged this or that with different cowlings, guards etc.

And with Echo's Home Depot marketing mentality, they'll likely try to push Shin off as the more "pro grade" models.

I have no problem with their marketing, that's their business. But the dealers have been none too happy about it. Especially with the liberal return policies of Home Depot.

I've a neighbor who needed to fell some trees..... has no use for a chain saw but every few years, didn't want to pay anyone to do it (trees weren't that tall 20ft or so) so he goes to HD, buys a chainsaw, cuts down his trees and promptly returns the saw for a refund.

Then tells me he did the same thing with a tow behind leaf vac he bought from Lowes... and a pressure washer from Sears.. all with a big you know what eating grin on his face.

This is a "nice" neighborhood, the guy makes over 200K a year.

I said "and you're telling me this why? I think it's disgusting"
Sounds like my Brother-in-law.... He'll bend over backwards to steal from anyone and in his eye's it's completely legal. His words... "Just using the system to my advantage." Needless to say, I don't get along with my Brother-in-law... he knows it and has stopped asking to borrow my equipment that I buy outright.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
RonAyersMotorsports's Avatar
RonAyersMotorsports RonAyersMotorsports is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
You believe that? Echo just wanted some of Shin's technology (patents)
Shin is a minor player in the market compared to Stihl, Echo, Husq etc.

And they'll end up offering few products that directly compete with each other. They'll merge the distribution and central overhead aspects of the business and the products will end up being re-badged this or that with different cowlings, guards etc.

And with Echo's Home Depot marketing mentality, they'll likely try to push Shin off as the more "pro grade" models.

I have no problem with their marketing, that's their business. But the dealers have been none too happy about it. Especially with the liberal return policies of Home Depot.

I've a neighbor who needed to fell some trees..... has no use for a chain saw but every few years, didn't want to pay anyone to do it (trees weren't that tall 20ft or so) so he goes to HD, buys a chainsaw, cuts down his trees and promptly returns the saw for a refund.

Then tells me he did the same thing with a tow behind leaf vac he bought from Lowes... and a pressure washer from Sears.. all with a big you know what eating grin on his face.

This is a "nice" neighborhood, the guy makes over 200K a year.

I said "and you're telling me this why? I think it's disgusting"
This is exactly why big market stores should not be allowed to sell power equipment "THEY" do not service themselves. I hear this all to often or have lost a sell due to these now discounted pieces of equipment.
__________________


Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.10852 seconds with 7 queries