Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyouare View Post
Ok, I've done my share of searches on how to prevent/get rid of crab grass. I'm going to use a pre-emergent herbicide (scott's brand).

My problem is this: I have one very large spot in my yard that has a lot of crabgrass. We're not talking a couple little patches, we're talking maybe 15 square feet or so, if added up total, of dead crabgrass at the moment.

If I apply the herbicide and successfully keep the crabgrass from growing again this year, I will have these big bare, dead crabgrass spots. That's not desireable. The herbicide states that you should not seed or sod for 3-4 months after applying. So, the option is not there to apply the herbicide to prevent crabgrass from thriving again and then replacing the dead area with seed/sod after the fact.

My other plan was to rip up the section of yard that holds these big patches, lay down sod, and apply the herbicide to the rest of the lawn. I'm just not sure if that's the best solution, and it's a lot of work, so I'm looking for advice before I take any action.

Any help is appreciated! (yes, I'm a lawn newbie, I didn't even know what crabgrass was as it was running rampant in my yard last summer)
Don't take this the wrong way but this should get moved to the homeowner section where you may find some help there.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Are you for sure that it is crabgrass.

You normally don't see it this time of year, dead or alive.

I've seen customers rip out whole yards thinking they have crabgrass when it turned out to be tall fescue.

First Pic is Crab Grass.

http://alfalfa.okstate.edu/weeds/sum...bgrass-074.jpg

This is Fescue.

http://ac4.yt-thm-a03.yimg.com/image/aa0b7ebe20cc133a

Even if it's dead from last year in large amounts, you can still see the crabgrass. It has that dead, flat spider look - quite unattractive.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hook View Post
Also if you were to seed you would still have cg issues. You would not want to use a pre emergent. And you would have weed issues, because you would not be able to put any weed control down until the new grass is established.
Quinclorac (Drive 75) allows you to apply before seeding, during seeding, and as early as 7 days after germination of seedlings. It's post emergent (with Methylated Seed Oil added) and gives up to 45 days of pre-emergent protection. You can re-apply 30 days after your first application and obtain nearly 2.5 months of pre-em protection with no adverse affects to your turf seed.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyouare View Post
Definitely crabgrass. Nasty stuff.

Thanks for your replies. I've entertained the thought of hiring someone to do it, but I've managed to do all yard work including a bit of landscaping myself up to this point. But this may be a good time to call in the pro's.
If you're up for it, you could always try it out - just don't be upset if it cost you more money doing it yourself . Plus it would be a learning experience for you...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsLawn&LandscapeInc View Post
How I get rid of it is I spray the crabgrass area with Roundup QuikPro. Allow it to dry or even come back the next day and spray it with Pendlum 8 ft wider in every direction from the infected spot. This enables you to catch alot of the seeds that have spread but not germinated yet. Or even to be extra safe, spray the entire lawn with Pendlum. A week or so after you spray it, I would cut it out with a sod cutter (or did it out with a shovel ) and place all the crabgrass in a black garbage bag. Then you can go right ahead and lay new sod.
Seems like quite a bit of overkill. There are millions of weed seeds throughout a typical lawn, the trick is to control them. Using a pre-emergent on a proper schedule would eliminate the need to dig up the lawn...plus the new soil you add back, or the soil within the sod will be carrying weed seeds as well - then your back at square one.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUTURFGEEK View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but this should get moved to the homeowner section where you may find some help there.
Valid point. However, it does appear that whatyouare is new to the site, so I'm sure he posted in the most related area. Plus he may not have received a helpful response from anyone in the "homeowner" section.