Register free!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
We are busier then crap and phone is ringing like crazy!

Glad I decided not to market this year (saved me 4 grand ).

What are you guys seeing?

I was getting worried a couple weeks ago about losing customers...but not I am worried I can't get everything done!

Upsells are going nuts (seeding, mole control and aeration)

Who knows!

If recessions are great just wait for the depression to kick in - that will be off the hook!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Think Green;2863946,
"Did they merge with Terminex--or vise versa".

Servicemaster Corporation owns TGCL and Terminix like Pepsi Company owns Taco Bell and KFC. Servicemaster is a company with "Christian" values. At least that's what they told us when they took over Chemlawn 15 yrs ago.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

That is not a fair statement. Lawn Doctor franchises are individually owned and operated. We do pay into a marketing fund but are by no means a marketing company like tg. I can't speak for all franchise owners but we would never intentionally service a canceled account. It is hard enough getting current customers to pay on time, why would we want to service a canceled account? That being said, at least a few times during r1 we get a call from someone who did not want service for this year. We do notify in advance of starting service that the account is renewing. After completing the service I do expect to get paid. If they sign on with a new company I feel the least they could do is notify me of their intent to cancel. This by no means is an attempt to salvage an account.
As far as the cost to get a new account: If you are priced at the higher end of the market you will most certainly sign on fewer new accounts. This does bring up the cost of a sale. I could have 100% closing rate if I decided to work for free and my cost per sale would then be very low. We have already started to lose some to low ballers. I guess those are the breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
ALC

Lawn Doctor not unlike TG/CL is a marketing company that use every trick in the book to gain accounts or keep them. Their cost of acquiring accounts is more than a treatment cost. Therefore if giving a treatment gets them the account back, they are ahead of the game.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of course your franchise of Lawn Doctor would never stoop so low as to give unauthorized treatments to a customers lawn because they quit you. You would never do that to try and mess up the next service provider or try and keep an unsatisfied customer. Because you run a perfect company.

BTW The local Lawn Doctor franchise in my area is for sale after 8 or 9 years in business. The numbers listed with the business broker are approximately as follows. $ 51K owner benefit, $ 160K gross sales, Asking price of $ 140K. Original franchise cost was listed and I forget those numbers, but it was in the 6 figure range with equipment. Now those are the facts after over 8 years in business and I leave any judgement call to the reader of these numbers.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Why the sarcasm? Yes I do try to run a company that is on the up and up. I will not be underhanded in my business practices. Am I perfect? NO. But I do try. I don't know the financial situation with that LD owner in your area or of the economy in your area so those numbers mean nothing to me. Ric, either we are a 1 billion dollar marketing company or we are a small mom and pop shop. Which one is it? I understand that you have had some issues with LD Corporate in the past. But remember we are all independent businesses that operate within their franchise system we are not them. As far as messing up another provider, I have a good relationship with the other providers in my area and would not stoop to that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Of course your franchise of Lawn Doctor would never stoop so low as to give unauthorized treatments to a customers lawn because they quit you. You would never do that to try and mess up the next service provider or try and keep an unsatisfied customer. Because you run a perfect company.

BTW The local Lawn Doctor franchise in my area is for sale after 8 or 9 years in business. The numbers listed with the business broker are approximately as follows. $ 51K owner benefit, $ 160K gross sales, Asking price of $ 140K. Original franchise cost was listed and I forget those numbers, but it was in the 6 figure range with equipment. Now those are the facts after over 8 years in business and I leave any judgement call to the reader of these numbers.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by group501 View Post
Ric,

Why the sarcasm?

Why so defensive???

After a 6 Figure investment and 8 years of building a business I can understand anyone trying to sell out if they are only making a wage slave income. Not everyone is cut out to be in business even with the help of a franchise. A good CPO in Fla can make 50K a year with beneies working for the man with a white collar. No investment. Sure they might have to knock on doors and sell a few services or train newbies, but no investment and a stead pay check.

IMHO If you can't understand how poor those numbers are for this industry, then you need all the help a franchise can give you. I make twice the margin in the same market area and don't advertise. True this isn't my first rodeo, but I was out of business for a few years and only back in business for less than two. I have already beat the yearly income of a like business with 8 years experience. BTW I only work part time.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric, your one example that proves your point again. How many mom and pops fail?? How many are mismanaged?? You are right some people are not meant to be in business, but just because someone is in a franchise doesn't mean they are underhanded or crooked. I owned a business in Jersey that competed with a very large lawn doctor and they never pulled any underhanded tactics with us.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngrassguy View Post
As soon as make a sale on an old TG customer, I run over and stick a flag in the yard even if I don't spray it. They haven't pulled up any flags yet. I also warn the customer and tell them what to expect.

I feel like a dog marking it's territory.
Now that is a smart idea.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkranium View Post
Ric, your one example that proves your point again. How many mom and pops fail?? How many are mismanaged?? You are right some people are not meant to be in business, but just because someone is in a franchise doesn't mean they are underhanded or crooked. I owned a business in Jersey that competed with a very large lawn doctor and they never pulled any underhanded tactics with us.
jkranium

I didn't start the Lawn Doctor bashing. I only replied to a member who claimed Lawn Doctor was spraying yard after being cancelled and wanted to know why. I just said Lawn Doctor and others like TG/CL would use every trick to get or keep customers. 501 took exception to my comment.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric, I was commenting more on your franchise bashing. I am not a fan of Lawn Doctor, but there are well run franchises that provide excellent customer service. I know a few owners from neighboring areas and they are regular folks trying to provide the best service possible. You pulled out this example in another thread where you took exception to a post I made saying that franchises can and do provide excellent customer service.