Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know 501, he is standup, he runs his business with the same ideals as most of us. I dont care if he is a lawn dr or not, I honestly dont think it affects how he operates. He would run with the same integrity and quality of service if he was not L/D.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Hokie

Sure 501 is a stand up guy and does fabulous work. But so does every member here, just ask them. Of course your in NY and 501 is in Ill. so you see 501's work first hand everyday.

For liability reasons let us talk Franchise in general not naming any one franchise. Yes I was sued by a Franchise and therefore I am judgemental about Franchises in general.

McDonalds is an excellent Franchise in the fact they do a lot of market research and won't sell a Franchise unless the numbers for that area will support it. They have a very high success rate. Subway on the other hand have been known to sack franchises on top of each other. Subway has a much lower success rate. My point is there are good and bad franchises.

IMHO In the green industry there is no need to buy a franchise. Those who are successful in a Franchise would be just as successful as an independent. Those who fail or do poorly in a franchise wouldn't make in any business.

Why do people buy Fert & Squirt franchises?? Because they are purchasing Opportunity for an income, but not income. For the same investment you can buy a existing business or accounts and have instant income. You also have opportunity to increase that income and build off those accounts without paying royalties and other fees.

In my own case I purchased several small mowing companies and up sold those accounts into full service. Each time I bought even the small guy I got into new neighbors where I picked up even more accounts. I never spend a lot of money advertising and never paid a royality. My dollar spend to buy accounts gave me instant income back without having to chase leads and give bids. Acquiring accounts is not cheap.franchise or no franchise. The time alone not to count the money spend is higher than buying accounts. However once you reach a certain point, word of mouth comes into play and accounts come fast and cheap. With Franchises, they are always pushing for more advertisement expense when your local business may not need the advertisement. You can grow TOOO Fast, and that is a problem of many large companies who don't have the employees to handle the job. .

BTW If you want to argue Franchises, Maybe it is time for a new thread.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Turf Hokie

Sure 501 is a stand up guy and does fabulous work. But so does every member here, just ask them. Of course your in NY and 501 is in Ill. so you see 501's work first hand everyday.

For liability reasons let us talk Franchise in general not naming any one franchise. Yes I was sued by a Franchise and therefore I am judgemental about Franchises in general.

McDonalds is an excellent Franchise in the fact they do a lot of market research and won't sell a Franchise unless the numbers for that area will support it. They have a very high success rate. Subway on the other hand have been known to sack franchises on top of each other. Subway has a much lower success rate. My point is there are good and bad franchises.

IMHO In the green industry there is no need to buy a franchise. Those who are successful in a Franchise would be just as successful as an independent. Those who fail or do poorly in a franchise wouldn't make in any business.

Why do people buy Fert & Squirt franchises?? Because they are purchasing Opportunity for an income, but not income. For the same investment you can buy a existing business or accounts and have instant income. You also have opportunity to increase that income and build off those accounts without paying royalties and other fees.

In my own case I purchased several small mowing companies and up sold those accounts into full service. Each time I bought even the small guy I got into new neighbors where I picked up even more accounts. I never spend a lot of money advertising and never paid a royality. My dollar spend to buy accounts gave me instant income back without having to chase leads and give bids. Acquiring accounts is not cheap.franchise or no franchise. The time alone not to count the money spend is higher than buying accounts. However once you reach a certain point, word of mouth comes into play and accounts come fast and cheap. With Franchises, they are always pushing for more advertisement expense when your local business may not need the advertisement. You can grow TOOO Fast, and that is a problem of many large companies who don't have the employees to handle the job. .

BTW If you want to argue Franchises, Maybe it is time for a new thread.

Not arguing for or against franchises, I have one and I have a self start up. Whatever floats your boat....

BUT last time I check 501 was in the metro NY area not ILL. And yes I see his work all the time, first hand, with my own eyes, WHY?? because he has clients that live on my street!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Hokie,

Thanks for the compliment.

Ric,

As far as your comments regarding franchises keep in mind that there are various reasons as to why someone might purchase one. What works for you as a solo owner may not work for all. Before I made the purchase I researched franchises success vs solo start ups. It was an educated business decision which after 8 years I can say proved to have many good points and some limitations. Alot of it depends on the system you buy into and the individual buying into the system. To me it was the name brand recognition in our area, the equipment (which is really unique) and the buy group discounts (ranging on everything from marketing to office supplies to fertilizer). When I joined LD the investment supplied you with everthing needed to start up your business. At the time it was a computer system and operating system, power seeder, turf tamer spreader, Outfitted van with closed loop mixing system, 20000 mailed postcards, full spare parts kits for the machines and tools, 2 weeks of training at hq's, on going set up training for 2 years and many other things I cant recall right now. For me it has worked out pretty well, I think I may be doing a little better than the poverty level that you spoke of earlier. I do not brag or try to show off but I find it offensive that you are painting franchisees with such a broad stroke.

I really can't understand why you feel the need to sarcastically question that I am a stand up guy and always run my business by taking the high road. I do try to do a good job, not cut corners and do not bad mouth or sabotage my competition. I rarely find myself losing an account to another provider. I have been in business since 2001 and have maintained between 80-90% retention.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am Leary of people who claim to be honest. I assume people to be honest until they prove different. Spouting how righteous you are sends up big red flags to me.

I am Glad a franchise works for you. Franchises do hold your hand if you can't DIY. In the words of Lawrence Stone "Someone has to pay their bills." But after 8 years if your numbers are not any better than my local L/D, then a Franchise has not helped you one bit. Yes their equipment is unique, but it is close to losing the patent and will be copied very soon.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

I am also Leary of people who brag as to how successful they are when they only get business through word of mouth advertising and only work part time. This raises a red BS flag to me. See, anyone can be mean spirited and condescending. Online anyone can be as successful as they want to claim to be. I have read many of your posts and I do find you to be knowledgeable and sometimes even helpful. I have also seen you thrashing people on a regular basis. I do understand that you have an axe to grind with LD and are looking for reasons to group all of us together. If the franchise that operates in your area is not doing well then I really do feel bad for them, as I do for anyone who tries to open and operate a business legally and does not succeed. I truly do hope that this ends this topic. I have no desire to bicker with you.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here! I love the mole treatment! EZ $