Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2002, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Weed problem

I have run into a weed problem, in a customers flowerbeds and lawn.
It is called the penny wort, dollar weed or the lily pad weed.
What would you recommend maybe to spray in flowerbeds, without hurting shrubs? The weeds are really hard to pull up by the roots.
Also any recommendations for a grass fertilizer "San Augustine", which would be good to rid the weed in their lawn?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawns & More

penny wort, dollar weed or the lily pad weed Pony foot Carolina Dichondra Are all common names given to Dichondra carolinensis.

Dichondra carolinesis is a water weed that loves wet areas. Chemicals will suppress it. But the only way to get control is to cure the water problem. I have not found a good pre M that will work on it unless the water problem is fixed first. Many times I have sprayed only to find new growth taking over before the old growth is still just withering from the chemical apply.

Any number of herbicides will suppress it in St Augustine. Atrazine, Lontrel, Manage and Basagram to name a few. Roundup, Manage Lontrel or Basagram will work in beds.

Cultural controls of weeds(Curing water problem) is I P M management. I P M stands for Intelligent People Making Money

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn & More

Just re read you question tonight. I did not answer it all the way. A good weed and feed applied in late winter will set your yard up for weed control. Most St Augustine weed and feed use atrazine as the active ingredit. Atrazine is both a post and pre emer. Be sure to buy a weed and feed with Ammonium Sulfate as the nitrogen source. Ammonium Sulfate works better in the cool weather of late winter. It not only give a faster green but a deeper green that Urea. Weed and feed will take 30 to 45 days to show a response on the weeds. If the weather is right you will see green in a week. In my area Feb 15 is the weed and feed date. Check you local extension agent for your date or listen to the Scott's radio commercials in your area. I am guessing that it is just about too late but go ahead and do it now. next year do it on time.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.