Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

New Walker Mower

Just picked up my brand new Walker 48" GHS MT26 mower today. Its got the wide, low profile tires, 9.5 bushel catcher, 26 HP fuel injected Kohler. This thing is awesome. I also got the dethatcher for it. The only mower I have used before is my 48in Scag belt drive walk-behind. I'll post some pics soon. I'm getting a ton of work and I just started my advertising 2 days ago. So far I got alot of new lawns plus last years lawns, at least 10 clean-ups, 2 landscaping jobs and that was only 200 of my 1000 flyers. Also got a couple people signing year-round maintenance contracts and expect 100% retention of my customers from last year.

Any tips for this mower I should now?

Is once down the lawn enough with the dethatcher or should I do it twice or cross cut for spring clean-ups?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, first the blah part....dethatch twice, doing the cross.

I got the same exact mower last year. Nice mower. But a few things you should know.
1. Grease those points often often often.
2. Keep the engine cooling fins clean. I know several guys that had to put in a new motor at 500 hours because they didn't clean the fins.
3. Sharp blades mean everything on this machine. It makes a huge difference on the cut and amount that will go in the bagger.
4. If it is wet go very slow...even dewy grass will clog the chute....which is a PITA to continuously unclog.

I "stole" the mower for 2000.00 and mowing a clients lawn for three years. It had 29.3 hours on it when I made that deal.

The only drawback for me is that I've had little things go on it so far...throttle cable, relay switch was a recall item, small items, but nusiances.

Did you get the newer model with the encased blower motor in the bagger or do you have the older model with the open motor. If you have the older motor be wary of powerwashing the inside of the bagger as you can ruin the motor by spraying the motor too hard.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase. Its gonna make your life so much easier with the spring cleans. The dethatcher is an awesome piece of equipment and you will find that is does a great job. I taylor my work to the lawn in question. I am assuming that you know its called a dethatcher but it really is a rake. You will find your own way of working as you go. I "thatch" first all over the lawn and then I come back to vacuum it up. The grass is a little moist in the spring and this lets some of the moisture evaporate before I pick up. Remember to keep the screen in the catcher clean. I don't know what size holes you have but I keep a wire brush handy and give it a quick brush when needed. You also have to make sure too much mud doesn't accumulate in the deck. I use a HD paint scraper to quickly knock off the big chunks.
You have my setup except I have a 42" deck. You will love the 26EFI. I will never go carb again.
If you ever get a chance to demo a 52SD deck with the double blades, go for it. It makes this a different machine and if you don't always have to bag, it is an awesome deck. It also becomes a great mulcher of leaves in the fall.
I would suggest a speed up kit right now. The kit makes the controls more sensitive and you will learn the right touch now. The speed up kit only gives you another 2 mph but it is nice to have at times.
My machine is 9 years old and has 1750 hours on the EFI. I only replaced the starter on it at 1500 hours. It uses no oil. I run synthetic in all places. Make sure you change fluids as recommended in the manual and you will do well. I love this machine and it has made lawncare fun for me while making me cash. Great people to work with at the Walker company. First class operation. I tell everyone, I will always own a Walker. Good Luck and welcome to the club.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grease all the points 32 fittings i believe.
keep screens clean i use both sizes.
did you get the bigger blower if you did it doesn't clog up like older blower did.
blow out the engine compartment daily.
Basically follow the owners manual it tells you everything just sit down and read it everything is right there.

Details make money!
Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Stop working so hard and post some pics of it!!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I have the screen with smaller sized holes in it. What is the purpose of the larger hole one? Should I buy it and how much are they?

I do have the new larger blower so hopefully it won't clog. I cut my front yard today even though the grass hasn't grown and it was 30 degree out, but I just had to do it. It's so much fun to use the mower. The belt drive walk behind sucked compared to this.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when it is dry out the smaller screen doesn't let as much junk blow through the vent. But if your is brand new as in 09 model you have the new improved vent built into the door. unlike my 08.

Details make money!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

All good advice also look out for your blower dont cut low in sandy lawns,and when you do fall clean ups walk the lawns and look for stuff that could damage your mower. I have had guys suck up pruners wrenches and dog chains....this will destroy the blower and the plastic chutes could cost you up to $1000.00 to replace.......... also keep some shearer pins for the blades..
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc's Lawncare View Post
Stop working so hard and post some pics of it!!
x2........