Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

soft wash VS power wash...?

Is there really a difference other then the obvious technique? In regards to driveways, roofs, siding is one method any better then the other?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Soft Washing (i.e. cleaning with chemicals) is a superior method for cleaning exteriors. It's safer than blasting away with high pressure, and it will do a better job at cleaning the surfaces.
the only time where high pressure is still recommended to a degree, is when cleaning concrete.
I term soft washing as cleaning exteriors using the power of cleaning solutions, and rinsing with no more than about 300psi. I like a little bit of pressure because I think it speeds up the rinsing process a little.

Opinions are all over the board about what the exact definition of Soft Washing is, but that's my take on it, and I'm always right.
Pressure Washing Houses Jacksonville
Soft Roof Cleaning in Jacksonville
Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPC View Post
Soft Washing (i.e. cleaning with chemicals) is a superior method for cleaning exteriors. It's safer than blasting away with high pressure, and it will do a better job at cleaning the surfaces.
the only time where high pressure is still recommended to a degree, is when cleaning concrete.
I term soft washing as cleaning exteriors using the power of cleaning solutions, and rinsing with no more than about 300psi. I like a little bit of pressure because I think it speeds up the rinsing process a little.

Opinions are all over the board about what the exact definition of Soft Washing is, but that's my take on it, and I'm always right.
thank you...kinda what i figured
Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvsloan View Post
Is there really a difference other then the obvious technique? In regards to driveways, roofs, siding is one method any better then the other?

Sloan, it seems that you may be getting into an industry that you are not familiar with. Keep asking questions. As far as the roof goes, YES there is a huge difference, because a pressure washer should NEVER touch a roof! Roof cleaning is NOT pressure washing. They are two different trades. To answer the main question: one makes you money and turns a profit. the other keeps you there all day looking like an amateur.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 03-20-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionpower View Post
Sloan, it seems that you may be getting into an industry that you are not familiar with. Keep asking questions. As far as the roof goes, YES there is a huge difference, because a pressure washer should NEVER touch a roof! Roof cleaning is NOT pressure washing. They are two different trades. To answer the main question: one makes you money and turns a profit. the other keeps you there all day looking like an amateur.
alrightie then.....am i right to assume you do or have done both? Are those gizmos you see being moved back and forth on a roof not power washers? MAYBE I'M CONFUSING THEM WITH SURFACE CLEANERS FOR DRIVEWAYS
Old 03-21-2009, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
alrightie then.....am i right to assume you do or have done both? Are those gizmos you see being moved back and forth on a roof not power washers? MAYBE I'M CONFUSING THEM WITH SURFACE CLEANERS FOR DRIVEWAYS
Where you're confused is that the people that you see moving those things back and forth on roofs are cleaning roofs the wrong way. Roofs require the right chem mix sprayed on to kill the algae, mold, lichen, etc. then you can either rinse, or not rinse.
There's no reason to bring a surface cleaning machine, or a pressure washer wand up on a roof.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You are correct. There is a right way and wrong way to clean roofs. That is the wrong way. This is not a matter of opinion, it is fact, and it is documented. As Lance sais, the right blend of detergents, surfactants, and algaecides will do much more good and make it much quicker.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Where you're confused is that the people that you see moving those things back and forth on roofs are cleaning roofs the wrong way.

Now don't take this personal...is it the wrong way...or is it just a way you don't like to do things. I have seen both these methods used and the roof in both cases looked great! Tho the "frying pan" method looked alittle more cumbersome. The fella with the bar said he would only use his method because it uses low pressure ...while the fella with the frying pan said he uses both, but likes the pan for most roofs. So how does a person choose which is the best way to set up.

Roofs require the right chem mix sprayed on to kill the algae, mold, lichen, etc. then you can either rinse, or not rinse.

So basically your saying you use a pressurized chemical applicater to put the chemicals on the roof and the pressure you get from a garden hose to do your rinsing?
There's no reason to bring a surface cleaning machine, or a pressure washer wand up on a roof.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, they are doing it wrong, wasting time, and putting unnecessary ware and tare on roof, and on their bodies than they need too.

Here is a roof cleaning kit that you can buy. It has the pump, hose, fittings, spray wand, etc. The only thing that you will need is a tank, water hose, hose reel (optional). and a 12volt battery.

There are many pressure washing and roof cleaning forums that are loaded with information about how to clean roofs correctly, what to use, what chemical mixes to use, etc.
If you are really serious about learning how to clean roofs, I would recommend spending a little time on some of these forums to learn from pros that have been cleaning roofs for many years, and have pioneered the trade to what it is today.

Here are a few:
ptstate.com
roofcleaningforums. com
activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=123190[/url]
Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sloan, I understand your questions, and will be glad to answer. Yes, they are wrong, and yes it is truth. As I said before, the way we clean roofs here in Evansville is the correct and safe method, and also happens to be the ONLY method approved by ARMA, GAF, and the RCIA. All of this is documented. This is not my opinion, it is what it is: fact. Hope this helps. If you need any documentation, PM me and I'll be happy to send you some copies for your endeavors.