Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPC View Post
Yes, they are doing it wrong, wasting time, and putting unnecessary ware and tare on roof, and on their bodies than they need too.

Here is a roof cleaning kit that you can buy. It has the pump, hose, fittings, spray wand, etc. The only thing that you will need is a tank, water hose, hose reel (optional). and a 12volt battery.

There are many pressure washing and roof cleaning forums that are loaded with information about how to clean roofs correctly, what to use, what chemical mixes to use, etc.
If you are really serious about learning how to clean roofs, I would recommend spending a little time on some of these forums to learn from pros that have been cleaning roofs for many years, and have pioneered the trade to what it is today.

Here are a few:
ptstate.com
roofcleaningforums. com
activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=123190[/url]

Who's to say it's being done wrong? If it is done safely and effectively then that's all that matters. One thing I get tired of reading is people saying "leave it to the pros, they have been doing this for years"...... Who is to say the so called "pros" are doing it right. If something works for an individual then so be it, but that certainly doesn't mean there is only one correct way to do anything in this world. Just like felling a tree. There is no right or wrong way to do it. As long as the tree is dropped where it's wanted and it's done safely then what else is there? The problem with this world is there are too many people with their heads up their butts that think they are the one with all the answers.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna, I understand you reply was directed to Lance, but I'll answer for both of us. It seems that you may be the one with head up butt, as you seem to get entirely too defensive when someone states the correct answer to a question. So, to answer your question "who's to say it's being done wrong?"

In case you missed it, it is documented fact that the way we clean is the correct way. If you need the docs, simply PM me. I have seen many an idiot up on the rooftop with a pressure washer, surface cleaner, water broom, etc. It is NOT a correct cleaning method, nor is it effcient.
Roof Cleaning Evansville, Indiana
Evansville Movers 270-577-4149
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqvarnaRules View Post
Who's to say it's being done wrong? If it is done safely and effectively then that's all that matters. One thing I get tired of reading is people saying "leave it to the pros, they have been doing this for years"...... Who is to say the so called "pros" are doing it right. If something works for an individual then so be it, but that certainly doesn't mean there is only one correct way to do anything in this world. Just like felling a tree. There is no right or wrong way to do it. As long as the tree is dropped where it's wanted and it's done safely then what else is there? The problem with this world is there are too many people with their heads up their butts that think they are the one with all the answers.
Who to say it's being done wrong? Lets see, the ARMA (Asphalt Roofing Manufactures Association) GAF, the majority of the largest roof cleaning companies in the country. How's that for starters.

Look, I'm not just making stuff up. I've been cleaning roofs for a long time and have done more research into the roof cleaning trade than most, but if you need more clarification, try reading my earlier post.
cleaning asphalt shingles roofs with pressure will cause damage, and could also result in possible water intrusion.
It's pretty cut and dry. I'm not guessing that it will, it does. I've seen it first hand many times.
Also, if someone is asking other professionals in the roof cleaning trade how to clean roofs, I'm going to give him the pro majority method, of which I am in favor of, as my recommendation of how to best clean roofs.
I not going to encourage a cleaning method that is dangerous for the operator, the roof, and that takes 3 times as long, with poor results. I'm assuming if he is asking about roof cleaning that he would be interest in the safest, and most efficient methods. Wouldn't you?
Pressure Washing Houses Jacksonville
Soft Roof Cleaning in Jacksonville
Old 03-22-2009, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPC View Post
Who to say it's being done wrong? Lets see, the ARMA (Asphalt Roofing Manufactures Association) GAF, the majority of the largest roof cleaning companies in the country. How's that for starters.

Look, I'm not just making stuff up. I've been cleaning roofs for a long time and have done more research into the roof cleaning trade than most, but if you need more clarification, try reading my earlier post.
cleaning asphalt shingles roofs with pressure will cause damage, and could also result in possible water intrusion.
It's pretty cut and dry. I'm not guessing that it will, it does. I've seen it first hand many times.
Also, if someone is asking other professionals in the roof cleaning trade how to clean roofs, I'm going to give him the pro majority method, of which I am in favor of, as my recommendation of how to best clean roofs.
I not going to encourage a cleaning method that is dangerous for the operator, the roof, and that takes 3 times as long, with poor results. I'm assuming if he is asking about roof cleaning that he would be interest in the safest, and most efficient methods. Wouldn't you?
First off...i thank anyone who takes the time to help me. Who best to ask then the guys doing it? That said....is the bar on the end of a wand method still wrong even if it has low pressure? Seems a nice way to speed things up on the appropriate roof. What I'm getting is low pressure with the right chemicals is the way to go. Rinse off the roof of dirt etc...apply chemicals....let sit but don't allow to dry....rinse off. Depending on the roof this can be accomplished by both being on the roof and by using a wand extention with one of those bar attachments. I am interested in this as there seems to be no one in my town that is doing any kind of roof cleaning. I think there is an opportunity here I would like to look into. I'm not stupid enough to think it's all just that easy....but..........
Old 03-23-2009, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionpower View Post
Sloan, I understand your questions, and will be glad to answer. Yes, they are wrong, and yes it is truth. As I said before, the way we clean roofs here in Evansville is the correct and safe method, and also happens to be the ONLY method approved by ARMA, GAF, and the RCIA. All of this is documented. This is not my opinion, it is what it is: fact. Hope this helps. If you need any documentation, PM me and I'll be happy to send you some copies for your endeavors.
steve sloan steveandkristen@telus.net
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sloan, feel free to give me a call. I will have you making $300+/hr before the end of the week.

NO PRESSURE WASHERS used to clean a roof. On the customer end, it is bad for the shingles, on the contractor end, it is slow and profit eating.

859-983-5955
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash
Old 04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm interested in this now. The people in my area washing roofs are all using high pressure. Someone give me some insight on the process of low pressure washing a roof. IE steps.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is how we clean roofs
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

+1
I have the a 12 volt kit from Bob at PressureTek. It works great on siding and roofs. I don't even own a PW.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I always thought that just spraying chemicals on the roof was not enough. Don't you have to agitate the dirt and mildew for it to become clean? Two of my neighbors had a "soft clean" company clean their concrete roof's, to me they still look dirty and have a darker shade to them. Now my roof was done with a concrete scrubber and chemicals and it looks 10 times better then my two neighbors. Like the day we bought it new.