Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2002, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Joining ALCA..worth the $275 registration fee???

Any of you belong to the ALCA? Do you get anything out of it other than stamping this membership on your business card?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Membership is what you make of it. We joined this past year after being members of PLCAA for several. As our business needs changed/shifted, I switched associations.

We have some of the their educational materials. As well, I will be taking the CLP exam in the next year or so.

National trade shows are very worthwhile. I find them to be more useful than the local trade organizations since the information/knowledge is better. As well, people are more willing to share/talk about their business since no one is competing in the other's back yard. As well, you get exposed to "the big boys". If you want to be more professional, become more profitable, etc., you need to surround yourself with people who can answer your questions and get you thinking about your business in different ways.

Bottom line - I would recommend any national association that fits any of your business - ALCA, SIMA, etc. Locally, pick and choose those that are important and will give you the needed local information. You don't have to belong to them all - but several will keep you in the loop and give you the contacts you need.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LawnLad has hit the nail on the head, IMO.
We belong to ALCA, SIMA and the Irrigation Association.
You get out of it what you put into it, for sure.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

We belong to the Ohio Landscapers Association, And the Cleveland chapter of the Better Business Bureau. Lawn lad hit the nail on the head. It seems every spring everyone is a landscaper with a pick-up truck and a craftsman mower looking for work!! you must have a professional image, and do top notch work, And countinue with education, It is a must do to stay on top. I recomend joining your local and national associations. scott from, "G&S PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE" LANDSCAPING/CUSTOM FERTILIZATION
Old 03-18-2002, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We reversed LawnLad and went from ALCA to PLCAA when we dumped landscape design build. Both are great and well worth the money if you utilize your opportunity.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, a membership is worthwhile if you are willing to participate in the opportunities that the organization provides. Often I see questions here that have been extensively researched and answered in publications that these professional organizations produce. I enjoy networking with others and learning from their expertise. Seeing how other businesses deal with challenges helps one's own perspective.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PLCAA, or ALCA?

id like to talk my employer into joining either the PLCAA, or the ALCA. bt, im not certain which would be better suited to our needs.

i understand the basic idea of both associations. but, when it comes to landscape design/build, the majority of our work is lawn, and plant installations. we occasionally build various types of stone walls, and patios, but this is more of an exception than a rule. usually, when building, or rebuilding a wall or patio, we are also renovating a lawn or putting in new plantings.(by the way, when i say patios, that would only include stone type patios, and NOT carpentry work.)

currently, our sales mix would be classified as 60-65% maintenance, and 35-40% landscaping. given this information, which of the two associations would you suggest?

thank you,

kevin
Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most likely ALCA would suit your company since both maintenance and installation can benefit from membership. ALCA serves interior/exterior maintenance and design/build primarily.

PLCAA would be for application companies or turf management companies. PLCAA doesn't really get into any plant scaping or hard scpaing.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thank you Lawnlad.