Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2009, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Lowballers/Weekend warriors

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-gener...AdIdZ115025080

There's alot more of these popping up all over. HAd a guy come to my door today and said he would cut our lawn for 8$. I would charge no less then 30$ to cut, trim, edge and blow. Maybe I'm charging waayyyyy too much. I don't think so though.
I guess this is too be expected with the economy though. It's a good thing I'm not doing this full time, otherwise I'm not sure I would be able to eat
I'm glad I've got my loyal customers and they've been very happy with their service. They've been telling me all of the people that are calling and telling them they will do it for half my price! without even knowing what I charge!
I can't beleive it.
We've noticed alot more theft at our stores as well. We've recently had an employee that has been stealing from us. Racked up $3500 in a couple months. He confessed and they cut him a deal saying pay it all back within a week and we won't press charges. Well tonight we found another $4200 in stolen property! He had a rude awakening tonight from the police. Some people never learn I guess

Anyways, that's my rant for the night

-Adam
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And it is only going to get worse! Something needs to be done about these lowballers/scrubs. Ive always said requiring a license to operate a LCO, but that will never happen, How could anyone afford to operate charging $8.??? This is just going to drive everyone elses prices down!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
And it is only going to get worse! Something needs to be done about these lowballers/scrubs. Ive always said requiring a license to operate a LCO, but that will never happen, How could anyone afford to operate charging $8.??? This is just going to drive everyone elses prices down!
If you know what your doing, it will not drive the prices down. Chances are, they will be gone after a month or when the heat kicks in. On top of all that, they probably are not paying taxes, insurance and other key expenses. Besides that, if your customers are smart, they will already know that good service isn't all about the price. My customers get them all the time asking to cut their lawn for next to nothing. All of them say no thank you because they know the person is doing it cheap and they don't want them on their property for theft reasons. My customers pay for quality, honesty and personal service. They wouldn't last a month on the properties I maintain for even $20 a cut. I've learned to laugh at this stuff as it really doesn't affect me or my business.