Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo BRD-280 Bed Redefiner

Does anyone own an Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer and if so, how does it work, and do you recommend it? I cannot spend thousands of $$ on the big bed redefiners like Little Wonders for instance, but this BRD 280 seems to be a good purchase and a great time and labor saver. Need input. Thank you.
Kenny s.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Kenny search this there are already post on this i dont like it i have one and would like to have my 700 dollars back you have to clean out behind it to me it only works in perfect conditions. thats my opinion
Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny s View Post
Does anyone own an Echo BRD-280 Bed Re-definer and if so, how does it work, and do you recommend it? I cannot spend thousands of $$ on the big bed redefiners like Little Wonders for instance, but this BRD 280 seems to be a good purchase and a great time and labor saver. Need input. Thank you.
Kenny s.
If you do a search, you'll find threads on these.

Also, the Little Wonders, Blue Birds and others are for MAKING new beds, not redefining them. I'm sure it can be used as that but who wants to drag that thing around if your just touching up? The Echo redefiner works great, is VERY fast to get the job done of "redefining" the edge only. It is not intended to "cut in" new beds.

I'm using my pas-265 and it worked great on my place. All I did was install the cutting bit and I'm waiting for the large protective shield to come in. Bam, $150 and I have a bed redefiner.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo BRD-280

ilc79 and Alc-Greg H,
Thank you both for replyiung so quickly to my inquiry about the BRD-280. I am in need of a unit like this to redefine, (not cut new) beds, and I saw this video on this site this morning and said, "man this is just what I need)!! I do it the old way, with an flat ice scaper or short handled flat shovel and I am sick and tired of breaking my back and taking all the time to do it this way. I called my dealer right after viewing the video and asked him about it. He said they have become VERY POPULAR, and there is a back log of orders for them, and it is hard to get right now. I am going to start working in a week and I redefine all the beds at my acct's in the spring clean up. I am going to call him back and see if there is any way to get one. Thanks to the both of you for you input, I apreciate it.
Kenny s.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pro's= Saves a bunch of time
less bending over
always more fun doing it with something with an engine rather then you foot and shovel
lotsof power

Con's= Weighs a ton
I dont like the balance of it
Replacement blades are about $90
JD L100 for pulling stuff
JD 7H19 Hydro 54” (Forsale)
JD RX95 38” tall grass mower
2 JD Js63c push mower
Coming Soon Lesco SL80A Stander
Trimmers/Edgers
2 Echo SRM210
1 Echo SRM230
1 Echo PE230
1 ECHO BRD280 Bed redefiner (NEW) WOOT
2 John Deere XT140 (ForSale)
BLOWERS
1 JD BP65LE Back pack blowers (ForSale)
2 Echo PB755H
HEDGE TRIMMERS
2 Echo Hc1500
Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting unit

Neat tool but the price seems a bit high for my tastes and ALC-GregH's idea of converting an existing tool seems a better option. I see the market for the tool, ideal for those who simply can't edge a bed to at least maintain an existing edge. Probably great for really expansive commercial properties where the edge doesn't get much scrutiny.

That said, I make alot of money on perfect hand-cut edges so the time spent is just more money. To redefine over the season a little touch-up with a string trimmer works good if done at low rpm and paying attention to detail. On mowing accounts I just add it to my trimming chores (not something I'd ask of an unsupervised crew member unless I'd seen they were capable, things can get ugly!). For areas that don't hold an edge well an inverted sod lifter makes quick work of redefining an edge (helps to have a second person for clean up).
(Under $100 and comes in handy for it's intended use as well)

Seems to me with the Echo tool any live grass cut from the edge would be shot up into the bed? That might lead to some weeding issues down the line.

I know it's not practical for everyone but keeping the edges shaped up every few cuts with some delicate trimmer use works well for me. JMHO, I like the concept but not the price.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Use the search feature and find my review on it. I was able to use it last week.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is get a demo unit and decide for yourself. I had a unit for 2 wks and I opted not to buy one. They have a great concept, it just needs some fine tuning. The conditions have to be perfect, and when it is it works great. But when it's not you would be better off fishing.

James
Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Dailylawn/landscape,
When you say "perfect conditions", what exactly do you mean? I can understand if there are some rocks that might be encountered or a root, etc., but if the majority of the redefining edging can be done with this machine in the spring clean up, and you only have to deal with taking a straight shovel or ice scraper to a few spots, in my opinion, it is still worth having it and saving all that time and back bending labor. Was it as heavy as some have said? I would imagine some weight in the head is what you need to help hold it in the dirt along the edge. If if is light, it may bounce around alot more. What is your opinion, considering you have used one?
Thanks,
kenny s
Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

works great

first, understand, it's for cleaning up existing edges......not cutting new ones.

I brought one home and demoed one before I pushed them on my customers.

My house usually takes me an hour to do by hand start to finish.

I was done in 5 minutes with the BRD unit. It's actually still a little wet out and guys aren't really even out working, but it still worked great. I was impressed to be honest. I'd have no issue selling one to one of my customers and worrying about them not liking it.

There will always be a situation where it may not work as good as it did on another job.

I tried to cut new edges with it and it would. The problem is it's not designed to get rid of that much debris so it just piles up and falls back in the trench. Plus if there's decent size rocks, they can get jammed between the blade and the housing. I like to put it through a test it's sure to see in the field.

Try one......you may like it, you may not. Not everyone likes the same things. They are selling so well they are already on a 2 week back order.