Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM
WHIPPLE5.7's Avatar
WHIPPLE5.7 WHIPPLE5.7 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 952
Anyone running a sulky Quick dually?

I get a more than my fair share of wheel spin when powering one wheel at a time. This is my first dual hydro walkbehind so if this is normal just let me know. I love the mower and it exceeds my expectations of what it would be like but I'm just worried about the sulky issue. If I walk all day of the turf keeping up with the mower my feet and ankles are killing me so I really want to make this work. Also I'm not the smallest guy around(250lbs.), so I guess that might be contributing as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM
trainerboy trainerboy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pryor, Ok.
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
I get a more than my fair share of wheel spin when powering one wheel at a time. This is my first dual hydro walkbehind so if this is normal just let me know. I love the mower and it exceeds my expectations of what it would be like but I'm just worried about the sulky issue. If I walk all day of the turf keeping up with the mower my feet and ankles are killing me so I really want to make this work. Also I'm not the smallest guy around(250lbs.), so I guess that might be contributing as well.
I have a 44" Samauri Dually. I just bought a step-saver sulky from BOP. I've used it one time and I already have issues with it.
When I ride the sulky I seem to loose a large amount of dexterity with the controls. It is real jerky and skitish on the controls making it a constant battle to hold a straight line.
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION THOUGH......
I did a search on steering dampers (on lawnsite.com) and found someone talking about some dampers that are self centering. I have taken the dampers off of my Dixon Kodiak and it acts like its having an epileptic sezuire when I try to control it. With them on it handles like a dream. I know this is going to fix the issue.....I just need to hurry up and get those dampers.

I have heard other brand of WB's being skitish on the controls. It isn't something that is exclusive to the brand.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
WHIPPLE5.7's Avatar
WHIPPLE5.7 WHIPPLE5.7 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerboy View Post
I have a 44" Samauri Dually. I just bought a step-saver sulky from BOP. I've used it one time and I already have issues with it.
When I ride the sulky I seem to loose a large amount of dexterity with the controls. It is real jerky and skitish on the controls making it a constant battle to hold a straight line.
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION THOUGH......
I did a search on steering dampers (on lawnsite.com) and found someone talking about some dampers that are self centering. I have taken the dampers off of my Dixon Kodiak and it acts like its having an epileptic sezuire when I try to control it. With them on it handles like a dream. I know this is going to fix the issue.....I just need to hurry up and get those dampers.

I have heard other brand of WB's being skitish on the controls. It isn't something that is exclusive to the brand.
Well my problem really isn't with the controls or keeping a straight line. Those areas seem to be quite well. Its just that if I'm stopped or almost stopped and I go to run one Hydro to make a sharp turn it will sometimes just spin the wheel. If I have both Hydros powered at the same time it goes well but I lose my ability to make the sharp corners or 180s.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 10,922
Locked differential is the solution to the problem of spinning but you would tear the heck out of the grass. There is a limit to how much a light weight unit can pull and apperently you have reached that point. By the way those hydros surely do both drive forward at the same time unless you got a single hydro...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Dodge2 Dodge2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ottawa
Posts: 134
Just my .02 cents but lower the rear tire pressure to about 3/4s of what it is now and that should give it a little more traction. And if that doesn't work try adding about 60-70 pounds to the back of the mower and with the tire pressure down it should not have anymore ground pressure than when you bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2009, 12:57 PM
trainerboy trainerboy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pryor, Ok.
Posts: 235
I see you made your own sulky. I'm thinking this is your problem.....
Before I bought my sulky from BOP I talked to them about using an aftermarket one that I found for $150 on ebay. I was itching to save some money so I asked about making some modifications (drilling some holes) to mount the bracket for it. The bracket mounted in the center like most of them do but the Quick Dually's have the control rods located right in the way. My questions were whether or not my warranty would be affected by these mods.
He told me he has run into this several times and the problem with it will be weight distribution. The Quick mowers are significantly lighter than most WB's so even small disturbances in the weight distribution of the mower will have an impact on the performance. This is why the step-saver sulky that they make for that mower mounts on the sides instead of the middle. Another thing he said makes a difference is the height of the sulky frame (attachment arm(s))off the ground in relation to the center of gravity of the mower. He said if the frame arm of the sulky (the arm(s) that is bolted to the mower) is sloped it could impact the weight distribution.
NOTE.... I was surprised when he said my modifications wouldn't void the warranty (unless I tried to relocate those control arms or something like that). They are top notch on the customer service end.


I would take a long hard look at your homemade sulky. I'm not knocking your craftsmanship, it just sounds like there is some physics issues going on with it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM
WHIPPLE5.7's Avatar
WHIPPLE5.7 WHIPPLE5.7 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 952
Here is my sulky. It mounts the same way BOP's does. Its an old one I got on Ebay cheap from the back half and then I welded up the front half with scrap I had laying around. From what I can tell the only thing missing from BOP's is the quick release type mounting, I actually have to take the bolts off(1 total minute).



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
lawntennis lawntennis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 360
I fabricated a bracket for a proslide. Took it out for the first time today on a spring clean-up. It kept doing wheelies. After reading what Trainerboy heard from BOP, I think it may be mounted to high. It's going to rain tomorrow so I can mess with it but I may have a proslide for sale real soon.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
lifetree's Avatar
lifetree lifetree is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerboy View Post
... Before I bought my sulky from BOP I talked to them about using an aftermarket one that I found for $150 on ebay. ... the problem with it will be weight distribution. The Quick mowers are significantly lighter than most WB's so even small disturbances in the weight distribution of the mower will have an impact on the performance. This is why the step-saver sulky that they make for that mower mounts on the sides instead of the middle. ... They are top notch on the customer service end. ...
Very good post explaining the weight distribution issue !!
__________________
2007 Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR
2006 Dixon RAM MAG 50" ZTR
2005 Gravely 34" ZTR
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Happy Frog's Avatar
Happy Frog Happy Frog is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Navarre, FL
Posts: 1,224
The problem comes from your sulky.

The distance between the attachment points and the sulky wheel axis is longer than on the BOP Step-Saver. This increases the arm needed to move the sulky in turns and this is where your problem lies.

I understand the need for saving money but I invite you to revise the way you built your sulky.
__________________
2008 Bad Boy Lightning 52" 26HP Kawasaki LC with mulch kit and foot assist
2008 Quick 36 Dually Samurai with Step-Saver
Honda 21" HRX217
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.10806 seconds with 7 queries