Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx. If you build something and say I will stand behind this you should do so.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemow View Post
Thanx. If you build something and say I will stand behind this you should do so.
Yeah, I mean why are they going to discontinue the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why they are voiding the warranties:

Chrysler has no money and can't afford to do the warranty work.

Why Chrysler has no money:

1: They make a poor quality product
2: Their vehicles constantly break
3: They are constantly paying for the warranty work when their vehicles break

Next on the chopping block:

Chevy/GMC
Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chryslers cars are always breaking, there line of Dodge trucks, I'll have to disagree, front end issues, but nothing real serious..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So if Dodge were to lose the Cummins what reason would there be to buy a Dodge?

There is truly nothing special about Dodge. Just the poor, poor Cummins that gets dropped into them.

I'd love to find an old Ford with standard trans and a grenaded 7.3 so I could get it for a song, rebuild the trans, drop in a CR Cummins and have some FUN.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Without the Cummins, there is ZERO reason to buy a Dodge. And now, the 6.7 Cummins is having some issues, about like the 6.4 in Fords. Some guys have problems, others don't, it's hit and miss from what I hear. All I know is that I wouldn't buy a new Dodge. Long live the 5.9 ISB and 7.3 Powerstroke.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 04-03-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I couldn't agree with you more.

The EPA is killing the diesel engine slowly and painfully.

The 6.0 has NOTHING on the 7.3 and the 6.4 has nothing on the 6.0 (the PowerStroke family)

The new Ford diesel is going to be the 6.7 Scorpion. It's going to be built by Ford since Ford had a falling out with NaviStar.

I don't know a whole lot about the newer Cummins engines.

One of my loaders has a 5.9 Cummins in it. That's the same engine that was in some Dodge pickups. That engine is awesome. It starts beautifully and requires next to no maintenance in comparison to the loader with the Int'l engine in it. Same loaders just different powerplants.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT powered View Post
So if Dodge were to lose the Cummins what reason would there be to buy a Dodge?

There is truly nothing special about Dodge. Just the poor, poor Cummins that gets dropped into them.

I'd love to find an old Ford with standard trans and a grenaded 7.3 so I could get it for a song, rebuild the trans, drop in a CR Cummins and have some FUN.
the 6.7 is having issues, but you've got to remember it is following regulations a year or 2 ahead of the other new diesels, as soon as Chevy and Ford get the kinks worked out they'll have even more where the cummins will be way ahead..

Quote:

Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
Without the Cummins, there is ZERO reason to buy a Dodge. And now, the 6.7 Cummins is having some issues, about like the 6.4 in Fords. Some guys have problems, others don't, it's hit and miss from what I hear. All I know is that I wouldn't buy a new Dodge. Long live the 5.9 ISB and 7.3 Powerstroke.
I'll have to agree with you there...

Quote:

Old 04-03-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have one snowcat in our fleet of 9 that has a 5.9 Cummins in it. Same motor as you could get in the pickups, just tuned up to 275 horses. The damn thing is bombproof. The cat is 7 years old, running on 8,000 hours I think, great motor. She is getting tired though, I think the turbo is not making enough boost. Also, the microprocessor that is linked to the track stick movements in the cab and relays them to the drive pumps may be hanging up somewhere along the line, causing the cat to bog down a lot easier than it should. She's burning more fuel lately too, typically I am burning 6-7 gallons per hour, seems like I'm up to 8 very easy, sometimes 10 gallons per hour depending on the night. Something needs some tinkering on it, but I can't get the mechanics excited about hopping up a 7 year old cat that has no ice cleats, no teeth on the blade, and a couple other minor issues. However, she always starts, always. -5 and not plugged in and she started, cranked hard, but started. The Cat C9's in the other 7 Cat's with the exception of the Mercedes in our lone Pisten Bully, are average at best motors compared to the Cummins in this particular application. They absolutely have to be plugged in or they won't start under 15 degrees.

Curious to see how Ford's new diesel will perform. I've been awaiting it's release. All I know is that when my dad was shopping for a new truck, the 6.4 was not an option given it's track record and Ford's idiotic idea of having to lift the body off the chasis to do any amount of work on the engine. Shame on you Ford.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 04-03-2009 at 05:43 PM.