Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is a Pesticide Ban here necessary?

If we were to exercise wise use of pesticides; would a ban be inevitable, anyways?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If we were to exercise wise use of pesticides
This is an unrealistic expectation as long as pesticides are available to the general public.
Do you think the chem companies are going to pull their products off of retail shelves?
The only thing they are concerned about is profit margin .... and the more product you use, the more profit they make.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
This is an unrealistic expectation as long as pesticides are available to the general public.
Do you think the chem companies are going to pull their products off of retail shelves?
The only thing they are concerned about is profit margin .... and the more product you use, the more profit they make.
The law in Ontario was done spefically to pull pesticides from the retail shelves. It is being fought in court so we will see what happens
There are some loopholes and it does not pertain to Ag or sports/golf turf

It became a water quality issue, when weighing the fact that the provence was literally allowing the population to be poisoned from its water sources outweighed the fact the an industry may be harmed.

The EPA report from 1991-2005 said much the same 97% of water tested from municipal water sources waas contaminated and 11% of those were so contaminated that they should not be used for human consumption.

Every spring water sources that use the mississippi river are closed off as the atrazine/nitrogen cloud moves south from Ag. They resume when the levels go down

I do believe that this will be regulated much more, not because it is the "green" thing but because the government agencies are sitting back when the population is literally being poisoned. Not good for PR or becoming reelected
Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
I do believe that this will be regulated much more, not because it is the "green" thing but because the government agencies are sitting back when the population is literally being poisoned. Not good for PR or becoming reelected
But don't you see .... this is a good thing because it then leads to medical conditions that require treatment, which is good for the pharms and corrupt health care industry.

It's all good .... the almighty dollar take precedence over any other concern, including human life and environmental health.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
But don't you see .... this is a good thing because it then leads to medical conditions that require treatment, which is good for the pharms and corrupt health care industry. ...
That is too funny.
"We better be sure to prop up one industry, if we hamper another."

Bill,

You seem to be on top of the Canadian thing...

Are you just talking smack, or - what are you reading?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
But don't you see .... this is a good thing because it then leads to medical conditions that require treatment, which is good for the pharms and corrupt health care industry.

It's all good .... the almighty dollar take precedence over any other concern, including human life and environmental health.
bingo!!!! always F the little guy's

yeah ban it for sure
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
That is too funny.
"We better be sure to prop up one industry, if we hamper another."

Bill,

You seem to be on top of the Canadian thing...

Are you just talking smack, or - what are you reading?
HEY TG, you Okay? didn't get a chance to get to the east coast this trip, I'll catch up to you next time

We have been working for the last year to import our products into canada, so I have been reading a lot of canadian law lately.
we also work with many canadian lawn companies that are smack in the middle of the debate as well
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
HEY TG, you Okay? didn't get a chance to get to the east coast this trip, I'll catch up to you next time

We have been working for the last year to import our products into canada, so I have been reading a lot of canadian law lately.
we also work with many canadian lawn companies that are smack in the middle of the debate as well
Ok... that makes sense...
Is there a successful move into organics or does everyone just pull weeds for 10 minutes now?

Good to hear from you TG. Little surprised at your answer though.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok... that makes sense...
Is there a successful move into organics or does everyone just pull weeds for 10 minutes now?

Good to hear from you TG. Little surprised at your answer though.
The lawn companies basically have no choice, they are all organic whether you like it or not. Organic is not a niche anymore in ON

Many are scrambling for answers, others have moved over the last year or so to different cultural practices. all are affected
most of the tools that they are used to having have been taken away

we will see after the politicians get through with all of the lobbying dollars that are being thrown at them right now from large fertilizer and chemical companies. ON has messed with some of the big money chem companies, they will not take it lying down

The interesting thing will be if the actual issue stays in the minds of the ones that lead
The government is allowing companies to distribute products that, because of their use, are poisoning the water that supplies most of the population, Do you allow, knowingly, your population to be poisoned???

We will see
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The interesting thing will be if the actual issue stays in the minds of the ones that lead
The government is allowing companies to distribute products that, because of their use, are poisoning the water that supplies most of the population, Do you allow, knowingly, your population to be poisoned???
Our government has been using the general public as guinea pigs for many, many decades.
If it's OK for American's, then it should be OK for the rest of the world.