Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gate entryway ideas needed

I just installed a fence, and this gate is driving me nuts. There is a 10" grade change the way I have it now. In these pictures the posts, gate and ground are all dead level. The lawn side/backside of gate is the natural terrain.

Whaddya think????
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2009, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should add that all the grass on the frontside of gate is being removed and replaced with mulch
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably start by replacing & making the vertical slats on the gate at variable lengths to contour the ground. From the longest (hinge side) to shortest (latch side). Looks like you custom made it yourself so it shouldn't be to hard to replace the slats. Can't tell if you used nails or screws, hopefully screws were used.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The wood is all rough sawn. the real dark red wood is Larch (Larix decidua), and the lighter pinkish wood is Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis). The pickets are 4' and the posts a bit higher. All posts are 36" minimum in the ground. Corners and gate posts are 6x6's. All pieces are screwed, using stainless screws with a rust oleum coating.

I would rather not stagger the pickets down. I want to build up an entryway of some sort. I posted here hoping to get some different ideas thrown around, and choose from them. I have one idea, and will post it later. I don't want to influence anyones ideas.

Your close by, wanna come by and draw something up?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is that a rwall I see without any cap stones?

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwalklandscaping View Post
Is that a rwall I see without any cap stones?
Yes it is, but I do not believe thats relevant to my gate design, or is it?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

You have 2 choices...pickets to the ground or raise ground up to gate. I don't care for the taller pickets on the house side. Lose the taller pickets & add soil to make a flat area @ gate. Always try to locate gates at a level spot. Try to put your high side rails as low as you can to lessen difference. Instead of making pickets longer, lower gate and cut off some on high side.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I would install a retaining wall on the latchside of the gate to raise up that area in the backyard level with your fencing that is enclosing the right of the backyard. Then install paver walk to the rear of house or whatever is back there...ie: patio, deck, etc. The lower section can be leveled as well between the new retaining wall and the foundation of the house and add landscaping as desired. Lowering the gate height might be needed or longer gate slates. On the frontside of the gate I would install another retaining wall on the latchside to retain the hill and landscaping desired. Continue with the walkway through the gate and add a staircase down to desired destination due to the grade. Need more pictures to determine what is going on with the grade/exit to the front driveway. And yes the retaining wall is important if you plan on added steps to the drive instead of leaping off onto the drive and defeating the purpose of the walk/exit.

Last edited by GMTA; 03-23-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: addition to post
Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GMTA

thanks for the great post!!

the front of the gate leads to my retaining wall as noted, and really nothing else. I bring my mower around the side of the wall, across the back of the bed and through the gate. its a pseudo entryway, if you will. I just want to make it level, the easiest way possible and make it look good. This is a townhouse so I am not looking to sink loads MORE money into this place.

I was thinking a simple 4'-6' long walkway, with flagstones or other stepping stones, through my mulch bed. I envisioned retain.ing the load side up via granite cobbles, and installing a 5' wide slab of granite as a level step up at/under the gate. if needed I wold add someminor loam to th lawn side and slowl tape it to level off behind the granite step.

but then again I am just someArborit wih NO landscape design eperience!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

No problem....only issue is I would have done the grading and retaining walls and then installed the fence. You may have to adjust many aspects of your fence if you want everything the way I am thinking. Also, eventhough your doing it yourself it could be rather costly to do all of this to a townhouse you may grow out of and I doubt you'll get what you want out of what you put into it money wise when it comes time to sell, depending on the area and other property values. Nice to have an end unit and an association that allows all of these upgrades!