Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to transport tow behind lawn roller

I have a 700 lbs lawn roller when filled with water. It would work better if it was a little heavier. So if I fill it with sand it would be about 1000 lbs, but how do i get it on the trailer. I am affraid going up the ramp it would try to flip the ztr over. Then I thought fill it halfway with sand and the rest water when i get there. But when I let the water out wont it pull the sand with it or is sand heavy enuf just to sink? I searched and water is 8.4 lbs gal and sand is 12.5 lbs gal.

2000 CHEVY 2500
Country Clipper Boss 52
CUB CADET TANK 60
CUB CADET 33
GRAVELY SW21
Sthil trimmer's
Sthil edger
Sthil hedge trimmer
Sthil tiller
Echo blower's
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a double axle trailer it shouldn't be a problem. I'd load the roller first and then the ZTR even though the ZTR (didn't look to see what you have) likely weighs 1,100lbs or more.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why in the world are you 1st, going to go through all the trouble of filling it (even half) once you get to the job? 2nd, why go through all the trouble with the sand? What do you think you will do when your done, empty all the dry sand out? It won't happen. And on top of that, you will have had this thing NOW filled with mud, so the snd that is in it from the second half filling will now be mud also, or in the very least, very damp. you are still transporting full roller, regardless. I would just tck with the water. Also, do NOT attempt to transport a half full roller of water. Fill it all the way up. The momentum of the sloshing will be hard on the hitch pin (if you leave it hooked up). What I do, is back mine up the trailer. It then gets chained down, binded and secured to the deck of the trailer. There is not enough enough time in the WORLD to be messing with filling and draining rollers on the site.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
There is not enough enough time in the WORLD to be messing with filling and draining rollers on the site.
Man I have to agree with that. And we never put anything other than water in them. FULL.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're worried about flipping the ztr then get a cheap 12 volt winch and attach it to front of trailer and winch whole thing up. You will be safe and sound at the side. Our roller is well over 1000 lbs but we pull with a 4x4 Steiner so flipping isn't an issue.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I cant imagine the roller flipping a ZTR. The weight of the roller is "Dead" weight. Unless your ZTR is capable of pulling itself into a complete circle over itself, I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned before, dont dare haul it half full. Also, mentioned before, half water and half sand will be a real PITA that you will never forget.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put the fill hole at about 1:30 and fill till it comes out.
Just in case we get a late spring or early fall freeze.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as the fear of flipping it over, I know what he is saying. Especially if the ramp is steep enough, what happens is, as the front wheels of the Z get right about at the top of the ramp, the roller is just starting it's uphill travel, causing more resistance. The front of the mower literally does want to come up at times (not a good feeling). It takes some practice, and you have to have the throttle up about half throttle so the pumps are pumping efficiently, but the roller can be backed right up the trailer. You get good at it after awhile anyway, are able to back it and tuck it in to tight places, as well.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.