Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Residential Walk Behind Suggestions

Hello and this is my first post on this site. I'm looking into getting a 32"-34" cut walk behind mower. Strictly for my own personal use on about 1/3 of an acre. I need to mow about every 3-4 days in the spring and am looking to cut down on the time it takes with my 21" Troy Bilt.
I would like to keep it under $2000. Had my eyes on a Billy Goat 33" but they are no longer in production. The 32" or 36" better quick has my eye now, but not quite sure about the online only thing. The yard is basically flat with some trees, landscaping, and a little wooden fence. Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hated the quick for the first couple years because I was dead set on TORO but now with Better's duel hydro I think I would give them a shot if I need to buy another wb. Especially considering the price difference.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool Boy View Post
Hello and this is my first post on this site. I'm looking into getting a 32"-34" cut walk behind mower. Strictly for my own personal use on about 1/3 of an acre. I need to mow about every 3-4 days in the spring and am looking to cut down on the time it takes with my 21" Troy Bilt.
I would like to keep it under $2000. Had my eyes on a Billy Goat 33" but they are no longer in production. The 32" or 36" better quick has my eye now, but not quite sure about the online only thing. The yard is basically flat with some trees, landscaping, and a little wooden fence. Thanks
I feel your pain! I am in the exact same scenario. Here is my thread from a couple of days ago:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=267591

I have settled on the Quick 36 with the Kawasaki engine. Now I just have to find time to go get it.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys and I read your whole thread mdawson. I'm in the exact same spot as you. I'm currently laid off by a company that blanks out a lot of the parts for MTD (Cub Cadet). My experience with them is always looking for ways to cut costs and product quality. Troy Bilt being a perfect example of that.
If I land the job that I'm in the process of trying to get, I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Save your money and hire someone like us to cut it. Just kidding, I'd go with the quick and get it now while its on sale. If your are only cutting your own yard you should be good to go with no major problems to worry about for years.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys and I read your whole thread mdawson. I'm in the exact same spot as you. I'm currently laid off by a company that blanks out a lot of the parts for MTD (Cub Cadet). My experience with them is always looking for ways to cut costs and product quality. Troy Bilt being a perfect example of that.
If I land the job that I'm in the process of trying to get, I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?
I think the Kawasaki is definitely worth it. From everything I have read here and from a friend in the lawn care industry that uses all Exmark with Kawasaki engines the Briggs should be avoided if possible. I am also planning on the manual start model.

Good luck on the job search, BTW!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey. I am in the business and you definitely want to stay away from the briggs. those engines are crap. on both of my walkbehinds i have kawasakis. they are extremely reliable. i would go with the quick 36 if you are just doing your own lawn and want to spend under $2000. but definitely get the kawasaki engine.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I need a couple of weeks and I'll be able to comment on the cut quality...

I'm dying to try out my Quick 36....
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson View Post
... I have settled on the Quick 36 with the Kawasaki engine. Now I just have to find time to go get it.
Well, hurry up and get it ... the Spring sale ends in just a few days !!

Quote:
... I think the Quick 36" with the manual start Kawasaki could definitely work. Do you think it is worth $300 more over the cost of the Briggs?
Absolutely, it's worth the difference in the price ... spend the $ 300 and don't look back !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetree View Post
Well, hurry up and get it ... the Spring sale ends in just a few days !!
If it were solely up to me I would have bought it already. My "CFO" is having trouble stomaching the price tag. She understands the need for a good mower (and knows that the Quick is a great buy), after all, our Honda commercial is about 17 years old and we got it for free about 7 years ago. When exactly does the sale end, end of March? We were hoping to discuss it some more this weekend.