Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2002, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back at the bus plan... gas costs

I am trying to estimate the costs of gas across the business. Can anyone offer the percent of gas expenses (vehicle and equipment) as a percentage of total expenses (including all owners wages.). I do understand these are dependent upon type of equipment, I am just trying to get a range to to target the middle.

Thank you in advance.

jf
Old 03-19-2002, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3-7% of revenue, depending on business type.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will invest in diesel for the next vehicle! I think everyone is going to have different gas cost depending upon how efficient they arrange routes and travels. Ours was 5.7% last year. If I had diesel trucks instead of the Gas hogs it would be at the 3% range (roughly). Keep in mind you can deduct the Federal Gas taxes for off-road equipment.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:23 PM
Banned

I am not sure as that I can say gas is a percentage as I do a lot of running around with my truck. If you are doing mostly lawns then you won't have high fuel costs. If you are doing mostly landscaping then you will have much higher fuel costs as the weights you will be towing will be higher, and the distances you travel will be greater. Also when you do your lawns you have to take into consideration if you are doing big places or small places. A big place where you sit for half the day is going to be higher on gas for your machines, but your truck will be a lot lower. I put about 22 thousand miles a year on my truck. A guy who I associate myself with who does only tree work and stone work puts between 50 and 60 thousand miles a year on each of his trucks.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fuel & Fluids for gas and oil (equipment and trucks) was 2.08% last year. We work in a small geographic area and travel very little. Our maintenance trucks get about 7,000 miles a year on them or less. Our dump trucks only get 3,000 to 4,000.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Snowplowing has a higher %.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No snow this year! You're right - but with enough pertime pushes, we off set our variable expenses of gas/labor. Looking three years back.... 2.52% in 2000 and 2.044% in 1999 I guess it doesn't matter for us how much it snows. We're consistently under 3% for fuel, oil, etc. Not a lot of big machines probably a part of it too.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

3.9% of our total expense. Ours is probably a little higher than most becuase we cover such a wide area. Luckily though, our trucks are all diesel as well as our big mowers. The only gas we buy is for the WBs, blowers, and trimmers.