Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help!!!! What is the Most Efficient Leaf and Stick Cleanup System???

We are in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and are having trouble getting cleanups done efficiently...

Any Ideas?

All we have now are mowers, dethatchers, BP Blowers, and Rakes!

Let me know,
Thanks,
Joel
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

add a couple tarps to you tool list
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A billy goat 13hp walk behind blower. Don't let the price scare u away. It is the best piece of equipment you can buy PERIOD. Spring and fall cleanups become a joke, you will thank me when you get one. Btw, redmax bp blower far exceeds ant bp blower. Don't waste your money on anything , echo 770 is not even close. As I found out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is correct.... A nice walk behind blower is a really great tool for clean ups for sure... BUT, please please please do not drink the redmax koolaid... If you want the most comfortable, most efficient, and strongest BP out there, it's gotta be the Shindaiwa 802! There is an eternal debate on this and I most certainly give redmax their credit but I have used both for years and in the end, Shindaiwa takes the win!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another great technique for cleanups is to buy a Walker!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cant vouche against shindaiwa since i have never tried one, HOWEVER redmax is extremely powerful, since i havent tried the shin, i cannot say it is the ultimate, however i still think it would be as good if not better than the shin, just from trying all diff types. Yes, a walk behind blower and you will be done in a hurry, trying to figure out how your going to spend the extra 1/2 time it took on something more productive to do.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

agree with billy goat blower. I had a partner a while back, and he had one. I blew a whole yard full of oak leaves into a ditch in about 10 minutes.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One man man's the jet engine (billy goat walk behind blower) while another man maneuvers around the tight spots/ walls/ obstacles/ beds/ decks/ ect and blows out the debris/leaves/whatever into the path of the billy goat. He is also there to assist in preventing blow back (incase wind picks up and tries to blow debris over the top of the billy goats air stream) by aiming high and shooting it back towards the intended path. Also, he is there to steer the debris away from neighboring properties when you find yourself in a narrowing path, keeping the debris moving towards your target without going all over the next door neighbors property. Basically the guy with the backpack blower is doign the "cutting in" if you will, (blowing out beds and moving debris away from all sides of the house into an open area) while the billy goat operator is pushing it to the other side of the property (be the woods, or other side of the property into a pile for bagging/ using a debris loader).

P.S.
Back pack blowers lack the power and parallel angle that walk behind blowers have. Many times when my guys are using the back pack blowers in open areas on the lawn, it is just a waste of gas. This is because the walk behind blowers are 10x more powerful/closer to the ground surface and blow debris that remains there even after the most powerful of back pack blowers go over it. Even the most stubborn debris, such as pines needles or finely ground mulch is blow away.

I learned the hard way 2 years ago using back pack blowers and tarps. This last fall i rolled the dice on a walk behind BG and honestly cut my clean up times in half. That turns into saving 1/2 the time, money spent on labor, and the grounds were left even cleaner than if i took twice as long with bp blowers. I can blow walls of leaves/sticks/sand/pineneedles/pinecones/ acorns 3 feet high and never even get a tarp out, no bs.

Last edited by RonWin; 04-28-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That was a great breakdown of the Northeast Blowing Technique there RonWin... Good explanation. Sometimes I would see crews out with the big walk behinds but doing things completely wrong... I totally agree with you and have always been of the opinion that a walkbehind blower always needs an auxillary man on the BP..(when dealing with leaves of course, hitting a parking lot or field is a different story) Some guys say they are too powerful and the stream is too big for smaller residentials but if you know how to manipulate your stream by supplementing here and there wit BP's then you are golden!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
That was a great breakdown of the Northeast Blowing Technique there RonWin... Good explanation. Sometimes I would see crews out with the big walk behinds but doing things completely wrong... I totally agree with you and have always been of the opinion that a walkbehind blower always needs an auxillary man on the BP..(when dealing with leaves of course, hitting a parking lot or field is a different story) Some guys say they are too powerful and the stream is too big for smaller residentials but if you know how to manipulate your stream by supplementing here and there wit BP's then you are golden!
Couldn't agree more with you bud

2 man operation is the core of what i have been doing for spring/fall clean ups. The only thing that slows us down is having to bag debris. I am seriously thinking about getting a dump trailer with hydro lift, only problem is i need to find a dump site. I just got into the biz the fall season before last and i have learned quickly that i would rather splurge on the right equipment than to break my back with the wrong equipment.