Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2009, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS View Post
Going back to what I mentioned earlier; prequalifying a customer. Anyone have polite way or phrase(s) that you say or ask to get the point accross to the potential customer that if they are just looking for cheap work then to look onto the next company?

I tell them about myself and the company and our credentials but it falls on a deaf ear sometimes and as many of you we typically deal with "educated" professionals.

I was tossing around the following phrases: Tell me what you think or add on to them.

When the customer whats the cheapest price and does not realize the difference in services/installations offered from one company to another.

Doctor: We Dr. Smith I realize you must be in a similar situation as I am, since a doctor with 20yrs experience is no different then a 3rd year Med student. You should be charging the same price. Also since having a medical percedure is no different here as it is in a third world country from what I can tell I am not willing to pay more for that open heart surgury then $750, but I was really thinking $500 in cash (wink, wink)

Lawyer: Yes Mr. Smith, I know that you must be in a similar situation in your profession. Since a 30yr attorney with court room experience is the same as an attorney that just past the bar. Right? Experience can't matter that much can it?

IT: Yes Mr. Smith I completely understand we are in the same situation. When I have IT problems I am only willing to pay the going rate in India. Since there is no difference. IMHO
I tell customers straight out that if they are looking for the lowest price they should call somewhere else. I don't play around with "the other guy will do it for $xx.xx" I don't care what they will do it for, this is my price and that is what it will cost for me to do the work.

There may be some disagreement, but I've used similar lines to yours when dealing with customers. I don't care if anyone disagrees with me here, but it puts things into perspective for the customer. If you are like me and work hard to educate yourself continuously then you will agree that there is more to taking care of a lawn then "just cutting the grass". Recognizing issues before they become problems, and being able to properly cure and prevent future issues is not something that "the kid down the street" can do. It takes education and experience.

I do the same with irrigation customers. If they say something about someone with a lower price, I ask them if they would hire the a plumber based on price. The answer is usually no, I then explain that the difference between the plumbing in the irrigation and the plumbing in the house is: 1.There are more moving parts 2.There is more pipe in the yard than in the home 3.There are electrical components in the irrigation. Then I ask if they know what a plumbers rates are. Most no longer have a problem with the price after that.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS View Post
Doctor: We Dr. Smith I realize you must be in a similar situation as I am, since a doctor with 20yrs experience is no different then a 3rd year Med student. You should be charging the same price. Also since having a medical percedure is no different here as it is in a third world country from what I can tell I am not willing to pay more for that open heart surgury then $750, but I was really thinking $500 in cash (wink, wink)

Lawyer: Yes Mr. Smith, I know that you must be in a similar situation in your profession. Since a 30yr attorney with court room experience is the same as an attorney that just past the bar. Right? Experience can't matter that much can it?

IT: Yes Mr. Smith I completely understand we are in the same situation. When I have IT problems I am only willing to pay the going rate in India. Since there is no difference. IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED'S LAWNCARE View Post
Outside of chem apps. They can get a kid down the road to mow the yard. Just because you may have more yrs of exp don't mean someone is going to pay for it. That is crazy remember anyone can mow a lawn. Please don't compare this industry to doctors and lawyers.
My doctor and lawyer clients usually don't bat an eye at my prices. Maybe that means I'm charging too little... doubt it. Anyway, the clients that want to fuss about it are the skilled labor and blue collar workers. I have a client, great guy, who complained about my price for aeration over-seeding and fall fertilization. I simply asked him how much the phone company would charge me to have him come out and fix my phone service. He said "if I come inside its $25 per 1/4 hour, basically $100 per hour plus (+) any material I have to use." I sincerely replied, "that sounds reasonable, [the phone company] has the overhead of the truck you drive, the fuel, your training, their offices, and they have to pay you. I have similar expenses, do you think my work is worth the [$0.00] (much less than $100 per hour including material) that I charge?" He quickly said, "that price is fine, go ahead and do whatever it needs."
Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been hearing for months that it is a "buyers market" on the news and from people I know. My problem with that is the fact that my expenses haven't gotten lower, so why would my prices?
the "buyers market" people are only looking for cheap, so let them have it....from somebody else. We all have better things to do than doing the same or more work for less money.